Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

point creep in colorado??

dan.kirkpatrick

Ive been eyeballing a few diferent units in colorado that according to the draw last year I should be able to draw this year,,,question is if the unit was 100% chance draw last year with such and such points would point creep knock it down for 2015?and by how much? is it just a guessing game?it looks like draw odds fall off quickly in colorado.

It depends... The best advice I can give is to look at the past 3-5 years worth of drawings and look at the trend of how many points it took to draw. That will give you a good idea on what you'll need this year.

Also, do you know how to read the "hunt recap summary" tables? Those give the detailed draw stats.

What vdo84 said, plus consider that starting this year landowners get an increase from 15% to 20%.

What vdo84 said, plus consider that starting this year landowners get an increase from 15% to 20%.

In some instances 25% on the Kansarado side of the state....

Plus you have influence by publications, people tired of waiting burning points, people jumping units because of favorable draw odds the year before.... Soooo many factors.:W:

At the end of the day it's just a guessing game. Looking at trends can help and assessing some of the factors sneakem mentioned can help, but there's no way to know how much any unit will be affected.

Look at past results and if was point creep or not and then you can ballpark the expected points needed in the upcoming draw.

There are things we know we know, things we know we don't know, things we don't know we know and things we don't know we don't know. Preference points span all four of those "things" with F&G lowering total tags as herd size declines, changing % in the actual draw, someone posting a story with a giant deer shot a few months ago in Unit X, a magazine declaring Unit X is the sleeper unit for big bucks in 2015, and the season floats a few days each year until resets making next year not quite like last year, tag costs increase, etc.

Also remember that there is a switch between 35 and 20% max to NRs depending on how many points it took a resident to draw.

I think that starts at the 6 p point level,,,Ive got 4 deer,elk,and antelope points going into 2015.what i want to do is a rifle antelope,then a 1st season elk rifle into a combined trip as itll bee about 2600 miles round trip from oregon.then save my deer points for another year.but i want to be sure i draw both.

Im thinkin about unit 69-84 1st season rifle elk or 501 1st season rifle elk,,,im kinda on the fence,,anybody out there been to either of these units? ive been on the colo site and leanin a little more toward 69-84 up in the san isabel mts.If anybody out there has any tips or even just general info on road access or anything,feel free to shoot me a p. m.its a long comitment from oregon and other than what i can find,on web,any scouting on foot will be when i get there.

From what the regulations say this year, landowners got an increase but they are limited to how many tags they get. The formula is based off acreage. For the last 10 years I had no problem getting landowner vouchers from the rancher. This year I have to go through the draw if I want to hunt Colorado. I also have to apply as a second choice so I could keep building points. I know the DOW is trying to address the landowner retail sales market of vouchers.

well,I drew out both tags with 4 points,,,loper and 1st season elk.looking at the post draw results,the elk unit had some point creep,,but I calculated it perfect on both for the points I had,,,i was sweating it for a while, but am happy now

Good for you, Dan. I have an RMEF event I have to attend, right in the middle of the elk season I wanted to apply for, so I pressed my luck on a harder-to-draw hunt and ended with another point. Now at 19. But, I did get a leftover cow tag in the unit I drew my 3rd season deer tag, so that's good news.

looks like this year I finally drew out my unit 21 2nd season deer tag after 8 years,,,hope its still a good unit for big bucks,,ive waited a while for this one.if anybody out there wants to shoot me any unit 21 tips,im all ears or pm me.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back