Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Platform or Cargo Basket

MtnElk

Morning. I've pinged almost all of the people I trust on this debate, but of the 6 or so, only one was a hunter. I am considering adding a basket or platform to the top of my hunting vehicle (not a truck), but undecided on whether to go the straight platform route or the basket route.

here are the two in question:

Basket (with extender): https://yakima.com/products/offgrid?_ga=2.179830500.1576922413.1684780842-675705899.1490485388
Platform: https://yakima.com/products/locknload-system

The platform is 30% larger, but also 38% more expensive after my pro deals.

Curious what other people have run on their rigs and what they think. This would primarily be used just during hunting season, as it would allow for extra storage and for sleeping in my vehicle if we are being mobile.

Edited to reflect @Addicting's point about the bars. They are attached to the frame and I have both the dynamic and stable load capacities drilled into my brain.

Last edited:
Noise and mounting would be my primary concern.

Most vehicles roof racks are only attached to the roof skin and not the structural bars inside the roof. Those fasteners only have so much capacity and most folks don’t heed it and can damage them. Then you end up with roof leaks.

Next is noise, many roof rack attachments get significant wind and can get a harmonic vibration that is annoying as hell inside the vehicle.

I would research those problems against your vehicle and potential product, make your decision from there.

Depending on the vehicle there might be better options out there. Either direction you go with, do not overload it with heavy items. Most roofs are not rated to hold alot of weight.

The platform allows for more surface area and longer items. The basket keep things a bit more confined. On a side note, you say you will take it off when not in use, eventually that wont happen and it will just stay on top the rig.

I’d go with the setup that is most versatile, maybe they are the same but the platform seems like a better option for swapping, gear, bikes, skis, boats, etc.

Agree with @Speeddmn my racks haven’t come off once in 18 years.

@wllm @Speeddmn part of the reason I know its coming off is that the ski cargo box goes on right after hunting season. So I am sure this thing is going on in august and coming off after my last hunt.

@wllm the platform probably does make more sense, because that would allow me to tote around paddle boards, etc a lot easier than a basket would. I was just hoping everyone would tell me the basket makes more sense haha

I had that basket mounted on my topper. I took it off because of the wind/noise. The juice just wasn't worth the squeeze for me. I got way more utility building a drawer system/deck in the bed and sleeping on top of that.

A little off but I needed something to keep things dry when I'm out with 3 or 4 people. It is very solid and the claim is 500 pounds. I put in a piece of 3/4" plywood to stiffen it up and spread the weight over the entire surface. I can take it off but usually don't, It does cut the mileage by one mile per gallon.
They are pricey the bares were $300 and the carer was $400.

IMG_20230510_100524.jpg
IMG-20230510-100524.jpg

Last edited:
Have an aftermarket cargo rack on a 4runner. No noise, and slightly easier to secure load, but not as versatile as the platform.

For any roof attachments that make noise, people put tape on certain spots to stop it. A while back some guy in a Tacoma passed me on the interstate, but at least 50 yards before he did I could hear a loud, high pitched whistling sound. It was his aftermarket cargo rails in his bed. He was probably driving other drivers' dogs crazy with that whistling

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back