Caribou Gear

Plantation quail hunt

DKO

Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2000
Messages
696
I was invited to go along on a plantation style quail hunt on private ranch here in central fla. the standard practice for this kind of hunting is about 50% wild birds and 50% pen reared release birds.The ranch we hunted is a little different as they do 75-80% wild birds and the remaining 20% are released birds if youve ever hunted this way you will know the difference in a wild bird vs. a pen bird .Wild birds fly much faster and just above cover and usually the covey will go generally the same direction quickly where pen birds rise slower and scatter making them easier to point and kill, over the course of the day we used 6 different point dogs and 2 flush dogs and encountered 13 coveys of quail.The first covey was kinda sad there were about 10-12 birds bust-out and we got 1 ,but we quickly warmed up because all hell broke loose from there all in all we (4 guys) killed 105 birds.The weather couldnt of been any better highs 40's lows 20's it was the coldest day of the year here so far and absolutely beautiful, pictures are on the way i hope, camera was screwing up!! all in all a great day afield!

------------------
"in the Spring we Strut and in the Fall we Rut"

ff1158a8.gif.orig.gif





[This message has been edited by DKO (edited 12-21-2000).]
 

JASON LEE

Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2000
Messages
430
Location
Around the corner ,Indiana
Sounds like you had a nice hunt!
I do about 2 hunting preserves hunts here in Indiana a year. Theres no season, so I can go early in the spring or late winter when the wild birds arent in season!
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
103,712
Messages
1,693,609
Members
32,378
Latest member
ALEX1112
Top