Planning a last minute diy elk hunt in Colorado

Slm864

I archery hunted Unit 421 last year... I can give you a few tips if you want to PM me, I also went into it only having escouted and learned some very valuable things
Thanks to your uncommon generosity we will get to revisit this thread in 5 years when someone new is trying to reach out to you to get some waypoints.

ETH

B
After not drawing a pronghorn tag my buddy and I were told should be “ no problem” I am now trying to plan an elk hunt. I have some experience, but by no means an expert. I think I have my units down to 421,521 or 52. I have never hunted colorado and my biggest area of weakness is escouting. I could definitely use a few tips. Not looking for a waypoint of anyones honey hole haha. I’m just more curious about things like when I’m looking at onX, what should I be looking for in terms of places or roads to camp off of? Appreciate any pointers from people who have hunted those areas or if one area is “better”. By better I mean more public land and access. I have made a few calls to biologists and will most likely make another one with some more ?s that come up. Also, I’ll be going with a bow and looking to just have fun and hopefully see some elk. I wouldn’t pass a legal elk on day 1 morning 1. Thanks! Good luck everyone this fall
Best of Luck.

brazilianch

After not drawing a pronghorn tag my buddy and I were told should be “ no problem” I am now trying to plan an elk hunt. I have some experience, but by no means an expert. I think I have my units down to 421,521 or 52. I have never hunted colorado and my biggest area of weakness is escouting. I could definitely use a few tips. Not looking for a waypoint of anyones honey hole haha. I’m just more curious about things like when I’m looking at onX, what should I be looking for in terms of places or roads to camp off of? Appreciate any pointers from people who have hunted those areas or if one area is “better”. By better I mean more public land and access. I have made a few calls to biologists and will most likely make another one with some more ?s that come up. Also, I’ll be going with a bow and looking to just have fun and hopefully see some elk. I wouldn’t pass a legal elk on day 1 morning 1. Thanks! Good luck everyone this fall
We're planning to do the same next year. Curious to see how you do!

old270hunter

Nothing wrong with short notice hunts, as it beats working or about anything else for that matter. I've hunted all the units you mentioned, but for mule deer. I've seen the most elk in 421 though, and especially in areas that butt up against 52. 421 has some decent fishing too which is always a plus. I love 521 for deer, and have hunted up Muddy Creek many times (especially in the 80's) but I can't say I've seen many elk except at the highest elevations during rifle seasons. I'd be rolling 421 for elk if I was in your shoes.

wsco3506

421 can be a madhouse during archery season. Most folks don't seem to venture far from the atv trails, of which there are plenty. I have hunted that unit almost every year for the last 11 years and keep going back because we always see elk. My advice, which is worth even less than you paid for it, is to ignore the crowds and hunt where you think the elk should be. It is a great area and is usually loaded with grouse so bring your sling shot. Good luck!----R

Redman

Unlike other people seeking advice I for one want your best secret spot and all way points. PM me I will be waiting! Back straps Bro..