Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Paradise Massif - A Goat Tale

Worth climbing to find coverage just to read this one.
But did you do any 'heel hooks' or p-cord anchors or 'wedge' yourself into some crevice to get coverage, Randy?
Pretty light on data, no spreadsheet, ...
He made a good start with the Goat Horn Study form - need more analysis and ideally presented in a deck of <=10 slides.

Excellent writeup, @wllm1313 - great adventure.

Outstanding!! what a cool adventure; Love it,,,,,
awesome pics and awesome'r goat:
thanks, For sharing..

Seriously though, very cool. Well done.

What a great story. I can say with a very high level of confidence that I’m not tough enough to survive an adventure like that. I sure am glad some are so that I can read about it!

Nice work! it gets real when you are considering aiding on paracord... I actually got called in to recover a goat a couple of years ago that involved rappelling down to the carcass and securing it to an anchor to skin and quarter it, then ascending the rope with the goat in a haulbag, I need to remember to post that one when things slow down this winter...

Nice work! it gets real when you are considering aiding on paracord... I actually got called in to recover a goat a couple of years ago that involved rappelling down to the carcass and securing it to an anchor to skin and quarter it, then ascending the rope with the goat in a haulbag, I need to remember to post that one when things slow down this winter...
You absolutely have to post that one!

Also I would be really curious how a pro would have handled rigging to rappel down to my buddies goat. The rock was pretty shitty and there weren't a lot of great anchor options. I'm a super novice climber and would to know how people deal with Chugach rock.

Last edited:
As with the Canadian Rockies, I would expect pitons, drills, and the Lord. I'm not rapping off any BD spectre thanks.
ha, that's about what I would bring, Specters and beaks are almost cheating when the rock is bad, the more scared you are the more you hammer until they are welded...
looking at the photos @wllm1313 posted I'd be slinging boulders or horns in that stuff, even if the rock is total choss a VW sized boulder is tough to move, the unofficial standard for our local rescue team is that a stable washing machine-sized boulder is acceptable to rappel from, and I've certainly rapped from much smaller, faith-based rappelling is something I prefer to avoid though...
given the three sherpas a power drill and epoxied in allthread make almost anything doable...

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back