Over/Under 12 Gauge Recommendation

My best friend for years would only use semi autos, and would laugh at me when we would go hunting together for using an “old mans” gun. A few years back he bought a Beretta O/U on a whim. He now comments on how he wishes he’d boughtt one decades ago. I finally brought him over from the Darkside lol.
I still use a pump or auto for turkey or waterfowl but will be getting a matte finished over under for that purpose.

I have had Browning Citori and loved it and really regret getting rid of it. I now have Beretta's and love them. They are very fine shotguns.

Browning Citori. The only one on the list you can shoot skeet with for a million rounds and never have an issue with. Handles like a dream in the field. No reason to go with anything more expensive or cheaper IMO.

Unless you are going to have the gun fit to you, your build and the shape of your face should dictate the gun you buy, NOT whose name is on it. The upper end guns are all good, you really need to handle and shoot as many as possible to see what fits.

Browning Citori. The only one on the list you can shoot skeet with for a million rounds and never have an issue with. Handles like a dream in the field. No reason to go with anything more expensive or cheaper IMO.
Them's fightin words. Seriously though the Browning is a great gun but there are others that are very reliable and durable. Stick to a quality brand and you will have many years of trouble free service.

German guns usually have a generous cast off, fyi. Fat germans liked that. ;)

16's are great upland guns. Lots of oomph and carry like lighter gauges if the receiver is properly scaled. I'd not hesitate to use a 12 though, which is my main upland shotgun.
Depending on what you want to spend, you can look at Ceasar Guerrini's, Berettas, Merkels, etc or dive into the world of used British guns and there are some good American companies that are building guns now as well, like Griffin & Howe or Connecticut Shotgun Manuf Comp.

Italian guns are pretty flashy, and well made. German guns are a little less flashy, but are an incredible value for what you get (these are my personal picks) and then you have the newer makes that are nice, but not quite up to snuff for collectibility, etc (CZ, Franchi).

So, let's start w/budget, type of finish desired, wether or not you know your dimensions, and if you'll want to shoulder the gun before you buy, etc.

Ben has given you sound advise

--------I would at least visit Connecticut before you buy. Ben has added their name to his list of quality shotgun manufacturers and I agree. Besides their own product line they also manufacture Fox, Parker, Win 21's . Good company, Great shotguns.

If you purchase one of their shotguns and have it made to fit you, you will not be disappointed and you will use it in South Dakota, Virginia, North Carolina AND Arkansas. AND so will your son when it becomes his

I've never really wanted to throw too much money at a scatter gun. Bought my first o/u last year in a 20 gauge CZ USA. After my first season I couldn't be happier with it, especially for the price pointIMG_20191006_143618.jpg

I think the biggest reason the Citori is so popular is the stock geometry they use versus the European guns. I believe fit is even more critical in the break action guns.

The following has been my experience, so take it for what you paid for it.....If you are accustom to shooting American pumps and semi-autos, a Citori is going to feel just right. I struggled with my first O/U (Franchi Veloce 12ga); which I ended up selling after messing with it for years, it just never fit properly. I was still interested in a SxS, and started doing some research. The next purchase I made was this book: The Orvis Wing-Shooting Handbook by: Bruce Bowlen (I believe it has been updated several times since this version. I worked to adapt my shooting form to what I interpreted as a more classic/upright wing-shooting form vs. a more forward stance that seems more common in the US. Once I did this the European guns fell into place perfectly. I ended up purchasing a Fausti Stefano Dea 20ga, and later purchased a Beretta Silver Pigeon in 20ga as well, both point and shoot great.

If you have an $8000 O/U in 12 ga you don't shoot well and an $800 12ga O/U that you do shoot well, which one is the better gun?

Franchi Instinct LX for me. Bought it after owning a Franchi Affinity semi-auto that I love. The Instinct LX is a beautiful gun in my opinion, and can be found on sale for under $1,500. I really love the marbled bluing and engraving on the action.

1589304862535.png
1589304979563.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back