Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

options for the solo elk hunter

Robertsj22

Im trying to plan a 2021 elk hunt but its just me. Im trying to decide what the best option would be as far as, go diy with never being out west before. or choose a outfitter for maybe a drop camp. or do a tresspass fee hunt. Going solo i worry about being able to get it out or hell even seeing an elk due to lack of experience. Also i think id like to hunt with a rifle. Any recommendations would be helpful.

Steep road ahead man, it can be and is done by lots of solo hunters but it’s gonna take a ton of work, skill and luck. Speaking from experience you will likely go on a lot of damn nature hikes before you figure it out on your own. Nowadays though, there is tons of resources available, so that’s a definite leg up. DIY public land hunting for elk is real tough but when you get that first one every bite tastes like victory!

See if you can find a like minded partner, there are so many benefits to hunting with a partner. Especially for big animals in big country.

Find a friend to go with... just sayin

Some of my best memories hunting are the because of the person I was out hunting with.

I would certainly apply in NM because its a truly random draw without points. Id also look at OTC Colorado hunts. You've been around for a while so check out some the forum posts about OTC hunts and recommended units and strategies. Solo backcountry is no joke. Drop camp or something similar might be a good option if you want most of the experience of a solo hunt.

Depends a bit on your experience in the woods in general i.e. camping, backpacking, as well as how much you are willing to spend.

That being said Solo elk has a step learning curve.

A late season cow hunt, where you stay in a hotel, and then pay a trespass fee is definitely the easiest.

A middle ground would be to car camp, hunt general and pick a unit/season that starts as early as possible (Oct 1-18), keep it to 90 min walk from the car max. Either-sex tag if possible.

Top end would be to do a backpack archery or early rifle season hunt.

It can be done, but if you're accustomed to hunting whitetail deer, pretty much anticipate most of that knowledge to be less than useful. Elk can be very hard to figure. I was talking to a friend recently and was agreed that we both have a love/hate relationship with the elk. I've lived in Montana most of my adult life and hunt the silly things year after year. I've had some success, but my level of success is not commensurate to the effort I've put in.

That said, go for it. Most of my elk hunting has been solo. It's an adventure for sure and can be done. If you bow hunt, invest in a handful of calls and get good at using them. Not to take anything away from gun hunting, but there is nothing like having a bull come in close bugling and thrashing Christmas trees and carrying on. And some s are not that hard to call in. In bow season they're usually get not quite as spooky and you'll run into fewer people. It pretty much depends on what you like.

It can be done, but if you're accustomed to hunting whitetail deer, pretty much anticipate most of that knowledge to be less than useful. Elk can be very hard to figure. I was talking to a friend recently and was agreed that we both have a love/hate relationship with the elk. I've lived in Montana most of my adult life and hunt the silly things year after year. I've had some success, but my level of success is not commensurate to the effort I've put in.

That said, go for it. Most of my elk hunting has been solo. It's an adventure for sure and can be done. If you bow hunt, invest in a handful of calls and get good at using them. Not to take anything away from gun hunting, but there is nothing like having a bull come in close bugling and thrashing Christmas trees and carrying on. And some s are not that hard to call in. In bow season they're usually get not quite as spooky and you'll run into fewer people. It pretty much depends on what you like.

Unless your in Colorado, the archery season can be more crowded than some rifle hunts

Getting to be more goofballs hiking around with bows all the time, but in SW Montana bow seasons got nothing on the general season in terms of... Let's call it participation.

was thinking about trying to find an either sex tag to get more opportunitys

I was going to suggest a cow tag hunt. As far as solo goes I think you would have less gear, less worries about weather and better conditions in every way during a Sept. hunt out west. Thus less logistics for a solo guy. Just Really depends on if you want to "elk hunt" and have an elk hunting experience or whether you want to "Bull" hunt? Whether it's worth it or not to spring the money for a cow/spike/calf tag is really up to you? I personally would think you could have one of the best elk hunts out west during a Sept. Archery season if you're looking for the best opportunity to see, chase and possibly get a shot or two, if not take an animal. Just my .02

No one ever wants to hunt Washington as it can be difficult/impossible at best to draw a bull tag (I am a resident and have drawn 2 in 26 years of applying) I have had more fun and filled the freezer almost yearly with cows and spikes and have absolutely no shame over it, just plenty of elk meatloafs and stews on my dinner plate. I personally stopped hunting rifle in our state 26 years ago for that reason. Also we have zero, nada, zip for elk in Washington so I wouldn't consider Wash;)ington..

Oh, by the way. Not a chance on an outfitter. Specially if you know your way around the woods and have solid outdoorsman skills.

It's tough but don't let that stop you. My solo hunts have been some of my most enjoyable. Lots of resources. Prepare mentally and physically. Do your homework and go. I wish I had started earlier.
HD

I'm about an hour from you and mostly hunt solo. Hiring an outfitter for your first time is a personal choice however, for what you spend on a outfitted hunt, you could buy all the gear you need for years and years of diy hunts.
I know everyone wants to go out west and score a nice bull. It is doable but insanely difficult, especially for a first trip. If you are dead set on elk, solid advice above in getting a cow tag but it would not be a bad move to go out for deer or antelope for a first time. That would get your feet wet on the whole experience plus the chances of success are far higher. If I could start over, I would have done exactly that. My first 5 trips out were all diy elk with nothing to show for it.
Feel free to PM me with any questions or considering proximity, I'd meet you in Somerset for a cold one and answer any questions you have.

It can be done, but if you're accustomed to hunting whitetail deer, pretty much anticipate most of that knowledge to be less than useful.

Truth! My first time out we sat on fields and still hunted timber without even knowing if elk were in there with us.

Looking back on it all, we had plenty of opportunities and didn't even know it. I can't remember how many bulls we glassed up.....a lot. Instead of moving on those bulls we just kept getting a kick out of finding them. Best advice I can give is something I remember seeing on a t-shirt somewhere. Locate (bugle or glass), Pinpoint, Close.

Locate / Pinpoint / Close

A middle ground would be to car camp, hunt general and pick a unit/season that starts as early as possible (Oct 1-18), keep it to 90 min walk from the car max. Either-sex tag if possible.

Plenty of small towns out west close to some really good hunting areas in every western state (most have B&B's or motels). This would be my suggestion as well. Do as much e-scouting and area research as you can before you get there. Rent a truck & day hunt every day while exploring an area on logging roads (hike in no more than 2 miles in areas you think may produce, repeat as necessary). If you drop an elk, set camp where you parked your car/truck and haul meat (no less than 3 trips as a solo so be aware of your distance from your vehicle). Motel or B&B allows a good meal and shower every day and can rekindle spirits for sure and keep you motivated. Flying in somewhere will save you travel time and leave more hunt time.

I Still say Sept. Archery will give you the best chance of having a solid hunting experience. The mountains are alive out west in Sept. with elk. My .02

If an elk hunt is your dream, do it. Don't put it off. Don't be intimidated by the distance, elevations, new hunting techniques, or a lack of owning every first lite or sitka piece of apparel. Apply for a Colorado OTC or first season rifle tag, Idaho or Montana general tag and begin your physical and mental preparation now. You will be glad you did the work yourself, learning about the elk and alot more about yourself.

I began by solo hunting elk and those experiences have been formative in my outlook on challenges and developed self reliance I didn't possess before haul elk out of the mountains solo. Do it if you are able.

I would look at an either sex tag and just go hunt hard. You can make it work, don't over think it. I'd like a bull but I like coming home with something to eat more. I got a cow last year after passing another cow in the morning on the first day. The only help I had with partners was staying awake to drive across the country. They were there to hunt also so I packed my own elk out. I'm going back to Colorado in 2021 if you wanted someone to hunt with maybe we could do that ? 🤷‍♂️

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back