Opening Day 6x6

idelkhntr

So I've been scouting the area I hunt since the 4th of July. I have moved my trail cam three times taking as many as 300 pictures. There have been tons of Elk cross and bed down in front of my camer, all cows though. Opening day arrives and I park where I normally do and start my hike in. About ten minutes in, I hear a bugle and have him pinpointed immediately. While I am working my way to him, a calf runs by looking for mama. I am still so it doesn't bust me out and I am successful. Once it is gone, I continue to pursue the bull. After talking back and forth I manage to call him in to 70 yards. He turns and heads higher up the mountain. I charge to get ahead of him. There is a draw between us. Finally I call him in a second time now to 40 yards, but all I can see is his head and rack. I decent 6x6 stands in front of me, but no shot so I crouch down and cow call then he takes off higher again. I charge ahead again and start calling. He bugles and starts coming towards me. I see him for a second then he disappears below the ridge. I cow call and all of a sudden he appears at 30 yards and turns to walk by me broadside. All of a sudden he stops and looks right at me. I have not drawn yet because it would have caught his attention. After what seems like five minutes, he turns to head back towards his cows. When he does I draw back. He clears a tree and I stick him right behind the front leg. He runs about 100 yards and drops in site. After about three or four minutes, he is done. The funny thing is that I nearly passed on shooting him, but I set my goal for a 6x6. He is not a monster, but a great bull for Southeast Idaho. An hour and a half into my hunting season and my tag is full and freezer filled. The best part, public land, self-guided by myself. No caller, no one marking maps, just me, my bow and the knowledge I have gained from reading and watching shows like OYOA. Now on to fill my deer tag.

idelkhntr: way to go!!. By the way, what is that green stuff laying all over the earth, even under you and your bull??...I sort of remember what that stuff is called.....grass??? (107 degrees in Wichita today, again)

Love your tag line. You "lucked" right into the right spot and got it done.

Green grass to boot. My parents and brother live in Wichita. I grew up northwest of there about 70 miles. Hope you get to hunt Elk once in a while.

Way to go, Scouting pays off here's the proof. Great bow! Hoyt, Hoyt, Hoyt

Great opening day bull! He's a dandy, no way I would have passed him either!

Back