Online WFA course?

CJnGA

I saw the post on here from last year asking about an online course, but I think it was pre or early-covid days when it was posted, so I thought I would start a new thread seeing if any of the big providers had come around with a purely online course since then. I know in-person is best, but schedules are not going to align between now and our November hunt. This is for recreational use - not looking at a career (unfortunately), though I would like to eventually go do one of the full on-site WFR certifications to be able to volunteer or be more capable when needed.

Any insight into online WFA-style (even if no certification is available) courses?

Laned

Hope you found something before your hunt, and that you had a good hunt. I don't think there will ever be a fully online WFA. There needs to be hands-on experience for some of the components, such as CPR. There are hybrid courses now, even for WFR, where a portion is online.

Laned

I would add that you might be something out there, but it's not going to be Wilderness Medicine Institute certified. There's even a quality difference between a course directly from NOLS WMI and a WMI-certified course. I would recommend always trying to get the NOLS WMI course.

CJnGA

Hope you found something before your hunt, and that you had a good hunt. I don't think there will ever be a fully online WFA. There needs to be hands-on experience for some of the components, such as CPR. There are hybrid courses now, even for WFR, where a portion is online.

Thanks!

I didn't find anything in the timeframe I was looking for. We had a good (safe) hunt. As I was climbing over, under, and through deadfalls and sliding down steep banks into creek bottoms, more than once I thought "If I or he (my dad) breaks or damages something at this point, we're in some bad juju." Hopefully I can get into a class this summer sometime. Maybe I'll "have" to take another trip out west for it, as it seems there are more scheduled classes out there than around here locally. It's a 'sacrifice' I'll gladly make.

Laned

Thanks!

I didn't find anything in the timeframe I was looking for. We had a good (safe) hunt. As I was climbing over, under, and through deadfalls and sliding down steep banks into creek bottoms, more than once I thought "If I or he (my dad) breaks or damages something at this point, we're in some bad juju." Hopefully I can get into a class this summer sometime. Maybe I'll "have" to take another trip out west for it, as it seems there are more scheduled classes out there than around here locally. It's a 'sacrifice' I'll gladly make.
Yah, I hear ya.
That makes sense since NOLS is headquartered in Landers, WY. You could even travel internationally if you wanted for a WFA or WFR. They're held all over the world.

406LIFE

I wouldn't wait until your next trip to take a WFR. You'll want time to home your skills and better than good chance you'll use them before your trip.

.270Rem

I took Wilderness First Aid in person twice with an outfit in Charlottesville, VA and they had virtual options due to Covid. Solowfa.com is their website.

Nameless Range

I recently took a Wilderness First Aid course through my work put on by Aerie. I found it very beneficial and in many ways motivating.

That said, I think the efficacy of the course would be greatly diminished if taken remotely online. The role playing, the scenarios, the practicing on actual people - all of it valuable and hard to imagine being effectively learned on a screen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fadilale