Old Man Still Hunting

WyoDoug

I have been hunting since I was a teen but didn't really start getting consistent on elk until internet came about and I started reading stories and videos by Randy Newberg and Corey Jacobsen. Antelope and deer I do good on, just not great with elk and working on improving my odds while I can still hunt. I am 63 years old and have went through a number of health issues and took a long vacation off hunting pretty much while I did a career in the military. Now that I am retired, I am anxious to get deep into the sticks again and maybe help others who no longer can due to mobility issues or things like that. I grew up in Colorado as a born and raised native and moved to Wyoming as a result of meeting a sweet lady I eventually married and now about to retire again this time from State of Wyoming. Antelope I hunt archery off FE Warren AFB and finish with rifle for tags I don't fill. Deer I hunt both local and north with a hunting buddy and elk I am so infected with buck fever, I can't wait to get back out on one.

I am an early retireee at 52 and my long time (30yrs) hunting partner is your age. He retired last last year as well. Stay with it as long as you can. My hunting partner almost has a similar story to yours. Military retiree, career outside the military where I met him and now a permanent retiree.

I spend my winters on a treadmill watching every hunting show I can get my hands on, motivate my 65 year old hunting partner and spend hours and hours waiting & planning for spring bear season in the Blue Mountains of Washington. We spent our first weekend out Coyote hunting last weekend (plenty of snow still in the mountains here). I hound my partner all year long (Shooting, exercise in the winter. Scouting, Coyote and bear hunting in the spring. Camping, ATV riding and outdoor activities like fly fishing on the St. Joe River in Idaho during the summer with our families and friends, then Washington mule deer and elk in the spring, only to cap it off in Idaho for an over the counter elk tag every other late season in Idaho.

Find a good friend & hunting partner and stay busy is what I am getting at. It's far too easy to sit around and watch the world fall apart. Your infection is a good one. Let it motivate you.

Welcome. Enjoy your retirement. As a CPA who has spent 30+ years advising clients, some fail miserably at retirement. Don't be one of those people. Enjoy what you've earned.

Welcome. Enjoy your retirement. As a CPA who has spent 30+ years advising clients, some fail miserably at retirement. Don't be one of those people. Enjoy what you've earned.
I already failed at investing LOL. However, I am already retired military. When I do retire from state government, I will also have state and federal civil service to add to that plus social security.

@intodwild: I have watched hunting movies nearly every day. Buck fever has infected me and I have been hitting the fitness center and walking to and from work to get back into elk shape. I am hunting horseback this year with someone who has the trophies to show his expertise. I can't wait. Antelope and deer I have some expertise as I hunted them since I was 16. I didn't start hunting elk until I was into my mid 40s and still working on my skills to make it more often than not that I fill my tags.

@intodwild: I have watched hunting movies nearly every day. Buck fever has infected me and I have been hitting the fitness center and walking to and from work to get back into elk shape. I am hunting horseback this year with someone who has the trophies to show his expertise. I can't wait. Antelope and deer I have some expertise as I hunted them since I was 16. I didn't start hunting elk until I was into my mid 40s and still working on my skills to make it more often than not that I fill my tags.

You have the right attitude. Now that you have the time to be a true student of the "game", do so. It will keep you hungry, give you purpose in your retirement other than your normal life importance of family & friends. Don't take yourself too serious with this as there really is no such thing as an "expert" hunter (experienced would be the word). Find time to enjoy yourself while your pursuits come to fruition.

Keep yourself busy and good luck in your retirement and your hunting sir.

I read the subject as Old man 'still hunting' and thought this was going to be all about still hunting, lol. Welcome, and thank you for both your military and civil service.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back