PEAX Equipment

OK Im new to hunting Turkeys

Kraven

OK guys if any of ya have any insight that could help me it would be appreciated greatly.
I am planning on using my 12ga,I do not have a choke on it.Do I need one for hunting Turkeys?What shot size would be the best to start out with,for the 12ga,I was thinking in the range of 4,5 or 6 shot.Thanx for any input you all have. :D

Full choke is best. You won't know what shot is best for your gun 'til you pattern it. Use copper plated turkey loads and try a few different kinds and sizes. Remember, you're going to be shooting at the head and upper neck. Aim point is about four inches below the head. Get some turkey shot patterning targets. And watch every video and go to every turkey hunting seminar you can. Join the NWTF. Do a "turkey hunting " search on the web. There's a lot of info on it. Your box call will probably be just fine. It's always a good idea to have a second call. Slates are good, or mouth calls. I usually carry about four different calls.

Kraven, be prepared to enter yet another branch of this great sport that will drain your pockets and set the heart to pounding. :D

The 12 guage is a great turkey gun. They make chokes in extra full tukey that are great for keeping the pattern tight. Ithica is right on about trying several different turkey loads. I used the same load everyone else was using that I hunted with and could not get it to pattern at all. Then I tried the 3"#4's and they worked great in my gun.

The box call is one of the best calls there is for someone just starting out because it is the easiest to learn and very forgiving of mistakes as compared to the others. I would try some of the others also so you have a different sound to throw at the birds. With some practice the mouth call is greatbecause you don't have to move to make it work, and turkey can see "ANY" movement. Like Ithica said,I also carry quite a few calls.

Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back