Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Ohio Sheds-so far this season

dcopas78

Dad and I are up to 46 sheds so far this season here in Ohio. Our personal best season was 62 so hopefully we can beat that this year. Here are a few pics of them. We also matched up a buck that we found the set from last year again this year. It is unbelievable how much he grew, but he is in an area that doesn't get much pressure and has a lot of food available. I hope the pictures truly show how much mass and tine length he put on.

sheds 1.jpg
Some of the better ones

sheds 2.jpg
All the rest

sheds 3.jpg
Twin bucks, antlers found about 20 feet apart. Hope we can find the mates!

2015 set.jpg
2015 Set. scored around 150" gross with a 18" spread estimate

2016 set.jpg
2016 Set. Scored 179" gross with a 18" spread estimate

The trail cam pictures we have of him suggest that he isn't much wider than 18" inside but he has really nice mass.

I hope I can hang a tag on him next year!

Nice haul so far!
Couple bigs guys I have in my area I saw 5 days ago still sporting full head gear.

Great job. Looks like you must identify them for future reference. I can probably look at my whole collection of sheds (not very many) and tell you exactly where they came from. Someday I hope to find so many I need to label them.

Great job. Looks like you must identify them for future reference. I can probably look at my whole collection of sheds (not very many) and tell you exactly where they came from. Someday I hope to find so many I need to label them.

We usually put the date we find it on the label. Usually I can remember where the big ones come from, but the "date found" helps us keep track of the target dates we need to be out in the field looking.

You must have built-up a nice collection over the years. Do you do anything special with them? I had plans to build chandeliers after years of collecting but eventually realized that wasn't going to happen so sold traded a bunch for some fun money.

You must have built-up a nice collection over the years. Do you do anything special with them? I had plans to build chandeliers after years of collecting but eventually realized that wasn't going to happen so sold traded a bunch for some fun money.

We have quite a few. We just like to collect them although the wife wants me to make a chandelier or two sometime.

We have quite a few. We just like to collect them although the wife wants me to make a chandelier or two sometime.

Chandelier making DVDs are somewhat of a guarded secret, send me a PM and I will get you what I have. Marty

Chandelier making DVDs are somewhat of a guarded secret, send me a PM and I will get you what I have. Marty

I actually have one that dad got from his taxidermy supply catalogs, along with the hardware to get started. I'm just reluctant to start it...I hate to sacriface my antlers :eek: I appreciate the offer though.

Great job dcopas. Almost 30 inch increase in a year is awesome, any idea how old that buck is?

Great job dcopas. Almost 30 inch increase in a year is awesome, any idea how old that buck is?

I really don't think he is too old. We have a trail cam picture of him from the year before the first set and he was an 8-pt, with the start of the point that turns in on the right side. We just didn't find the sheds that year. I think he is probably a 4.5 year old. I am anxious to see what he does next year. I don't think he is done growing yet. I suspect that the kickers at the base and some of the other points outside of the G-2, G-3 might get longer. If he gains any more mass, he is really going to be something. About the only thing not going for him is the short brow tines.

Nice work! A lot of great looking sheds with a lot of potential. I have two this year. Public land, North Dakota. Haven't been back to the farm in Wisconsin yet this spring but my guess is the darn tree rats have had their meals.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back