Caribou Gear

NV Archery Elk Fun but no meat

NV_ARCH3R

My Elk season ended Friday. Went in the 9th saw plenty of elk. Had 30 hd of cows, and maybe 14 bulls located in a canyon. Some but not all the Bulls were bugling pretty good, but didn't really seem to be challenging each other just talkin. Did get three to come in between friday and Tuesday mornig, but, they just wouldn't commit at the end. except for one. He would answer back to calls and bugles but wouldn't move. I tried to get in on him but the quakies were too thick, couldn't see 10 yds much less get a shot off. about mid morning he went silent, so I just sat on this clearing giving soft cow calls every 15 to 20 minutes just to let him know there was something up there for him. About 4 in the afternoon a bull and cows across the canyon got up and started moving. that bull was responding to the cow calls, but nothing from the bull below I'd heard. after a couple of hours I decide he had moved on and started working the timberline back towards camp. Went about 120 yrds, gave a soft cow call to the timber, and wouldn't you know, a bugle rang out behind me, and standing in the clearing I had sat on all day was a nice 6x6. If I had sat 10 more minutes I'd had a 35yrd shot. He then just walked back into the quakies and disappeared. Tuesday morning the storms moved in Sleet, rain, snow, fog stayed in camp Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday. Thursday only a handful of elk, and no bugling, and Friday no elk at all, but even at that it was a great hunt.

Attachments

• DSC00989.jpg
    DSC00989.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 376
  • DSC00991.jpg
    DSC00991.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC00940.jpg
    DSC00940.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC00945.jpg
    DSC00945.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 337
  • DSC00962.jpg
    DSC00962.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 337
OOH by the way I still have a weeks vacation and a Idaho bear tag. thinking about area 39 above Lucky Peak, any thoughts??

Great pics! I leave Friday for the Monitors. I have a deer and cow tag. I can't wait! Were you up around Jarbidge?

Looks like such a cool hunt. Bummer you didn't get one, but from the looks of it, you got to hunt some awesome country and got to see some good bulls.

I have hunted there the last 2 years. East side and then north around Canyon Creek. I love it there. Amazing country. I'm glad you had fun. Thanks for the post.

Back