Caribou Gear Tarp

Nudder elk question

Stocker

So I’m assuming that my Idaho and New Mexico draws are going to come up empty. I know this because if I didn’t have bad luck I wouldn’t have any luck at all.

Would you rather go to an OTC unit that had a high number of elk with a decent harvest success rate or go to a unit that had a smaller # of elk, but you had good knowledge of wallows, rubbing/rutting areas and a general feel for the landscape?

I hunted an OTC Idaho unit last year and I was always 1 step behind the elk. Yet though my Escouting I found where the elk had been in September but I had a rifle tag in October. I did get into elk, but the small pockets that were in my F-Z plans already had a tent or camper there with a bull skull laying there by the time I got there.

I found 6-8 wallows and places that were tore up during the rut. Keep in mind while I want to fill a tag in a bad way, 99% of my hunt is enjoyed through the experience.

Last edited:
Going on a repeat hunt will shave a year off the learning curve. You always have a puncher's chance in any unit you hunt though. I have seen bulls killed in some weird places that they didn't belong.

I sort of dislike strangers that have high-powered rifles or muzzleloaders. I use those weapons though do not trust that many people when they are using theirs. A trip to the gun range is eye-opening re how some of us handle weapons. Thus, I lean towards lower tag numbers/hunter density. Else, I seek access to private to get away from the crowd or an outfitter with horses if that is an option to get away from the crowds. Seeing an orange vest every hour or so then hearing ATVs zooming to and fro is not my idea of an adventure.

In general, I agree with what others have said but I also think it depends on how much time you have for research and scouting in the preseason. If you have some good Intel about an area with high elk numbers and you have plenty time to find them before opening day that can be a great option as well. Also depends on the type of experience that you want, but it sounds like you have an area pretty well figured out so that may be your best bet.

IMO going where you have been is always a huge plus it seems to me many folks have the thinking like the grass is always greener in the next unit
Im in no way an expert buy any means I live in Pa and go to Idaho and twice to CO. And always go back to the places I know after a bit of a learning curve I get into elk more often than not.

Boots on the ground knowledge eliminates a lot of worthless country.

Elk hunting has to start with "Finding the Elk" Places I've been before I can tell you my process of elimination for places I'd hunt. New places you spend a lot more time getting familiar with where the trails and roads go.

If you chose poorly the first time then by all means try something new- unless you are attracted to the excitement of first dates. I would be inclined to find country I'm comfortable in and then expand the range.

"Lots of elk" for me is a function of what time of the year. Where May - June means 120 head of yard elk; August - September the herds are broke up and scattered. I had 12 6x6 bulls in the field in mid August but by September I was back to the local bull and 10 cows. By October only the bull remained on the home range.

Open up the limits of your search. If you have a big block of private in your area that attracts elk and doesn't allow hunting, I would move over a couple three drainages to avoid the congestion and frustration.

If I was faced with this dilemma I would consider which experience it is that I am looking for.. There's something comforting about cruising familiar haunts and harvesting an animal without any other hunters around. If your looking for meat then the oppotunity for success may drive your decision making. I generally try to get as far away from other people as possible that distance often correlates with seeing more elk.

Back