MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

NR tag strategy.

williaada

Looking at trying to make sure I draw an elk tag from this year going forward. Want to get peoples opinions on using MT, CO, and WY as my three places to hunt. I have hunted CO. Headed to WY to this and thinking of trying MT next year. Does this seem doable?

Thanks
Adam

Currently, the only sure thing is CO and I bet that will be changing soon in terms of OTC opportunities. MT is getting harder and harder to draw, it’s probably an every other year tag right now in terms of odds and will likely get worse as time goes on. Wyoming is an every 4 year tag as of now and will likely also get worse.

I would expand that net a little if you want to hunt a bull elk each year. If it's just any elk (as in, you'll take a cow), you could probably keep the list small like that. But as a general matter, very few people are going to regret getting lucky in any given year and drawing two bull elk tags in different states.

Get as many options on the table yearly and hopefully plan A falling into place for a tag, if not have a back up OTC option.
looking at the structures and drawing odds for the non otc states you should be able to plan to buy enough points yearly to draw tags and fill in with OTC tags in the off years

Nothing wrong with setting up a strategy so will absolutely not end up with 2 elk tags in a year. This was simpler to manage until WY pushed back the elk draw results for NR. I think you could withdraw your application in some states. In CO, you can turn a draw tag back in and either flush your points or the tag cost. Here are dates in my notes for where I have recently applied for elk and added placeholder items where I do not know the details re dates. If can hunt more than 1 elk tag a year then the world is your oyster.

Draw State/Date Application Due/Actual Draw Results Recently
WY/Jan 31/May 21 (Due before learn any other state results)
AZ/Feb 10/March 6 (Due before will learn any other state results)
UT/March 4/May 15 (Due before learn any other state results results)
NM/March 15/April 22 (Will know AZ results)
CO/April 2/June 4 (Will know AZ results)
NV/April 15/May 20 (Will know AZ results)
MT/
ID/
WA/May 15/June 10 (Will know AZ, NM, and likely UT)
OR/May 15/June 20 (Will know AZ, NM, and likely UT)
CO OTC/
ID OTC/

Diversify a bit and toss in some mule deer and pronghorn hunts and at least for the near future you should definitely be able to plan an enjoyable hunt each year. Banking on a solid elk tag every year as a NR is going to get a lot harder but you can still expand your list to Idaho general and Utah OTC (if you can get through the internet bottleneck) and so you can still do it, for now.

Like you, I try to have plans to hunt something each fall. Last 3 yrs was CO elk, then CO deer, then CO elk. This year is ID elk, ID deer and WY antelope. Next year is likely CO antelope, maybe also CO elk. Year after probably WY elk. Year after probably CO deer. Ya gotta float around to make it work as a dedicated NR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back