Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

November Alpine Bull

trb

This isn't my story to tell so I'll keep it brief, but my brother shot a 5x5 bull at 12,500 ft in CO yesterday afternoon. With all the griping I hear about elk moving to private in September, I thought it was pretty cool to see a bull mixing it up above treeline in 3rd season. Granted, the snow up there is minimal and really patchy and in drifts. I'd be interested to hear of other's similar stories of elk staying high late into the season.

We spotted them from 5 miles away on Saturday while taking my nephew on his doe hunt. My brother made a play for them by himself Monday and closed the deal yesterday. He had about 25 cows and spikes with him. I got the inreach text at 3:30 pm yesterday, was to the trailhead by 5:45 to begin the 9 mile hike. Home by around 3 am. I will say, a casual 18 mile in-the-dark after work hike, packing a rear quarter out in some testicle-shrinking alpine winds probably contributed to a less than stellar 5th grade fraction multiplication lesson today.

IMG_7068.jpg

IMG_7070.jpg

Looking forward to my 4th season cow hunt next week. It is in a beautiful and remote area, so I'm hoping to take some decent pics and will be putting up the story no matter how it comes out.
Here's wishing everyone a happy and successful late season!

Back