2023/2024 update !!! Norris Road Elk Hunt

Word on the street is one of the best properties to get permission on south of Ennis got his mule or horse shot by some hunters in one of the shootouts. Unbelievable! Super nice guy. Sad. Doubt anyone will be hunting there for a while/ever. Was wondering why 300 head has just been sitting up there.
I am not surprised. That area is always a disaster, especially if the elk have moved on to the flats. I've harvested a fair number of animals in that area and haven't been back in over a decade. It just isn't worth the headaches with crowds.

I am not surprised. That area is always a disaster, especially if the elk have moved on to the flats. I've harvested a fair number of animals in that area and haven't been back in over a decade. It just isn't worth the headaches with crowds.
Are the crowds in lower Madison leaving their trucks at all? I've heard 362 trailheads are busy but they clear up after a few miles.

The highway herd in Logan finally showed up.
Them is smart elk....other than the impending collisions trying to cross the interstate.
Still annoyed with the hunter dragging the head of a mature bull towards his truck last year....parked on the highway.

For all you millions of hunters with an unnotched MT elk license and a muzzleloader...

Rumor has it the Dehaan Ranch along Norris road (the biggest and bestest private chunk in that part) is letting all traditional heritage muzzleloader hunters go at it on their place this December. It's referenced as Gallatin Madison Ranch Co on OnX maps. I'm not sure of the rumor, or who/how to contact them, but OnX should list the address of the owner and one could easily acquire phone number. Used to be a guy named Leonard Uiterdyk AKA Ichabod Crane that doled out the permission. Have it it MT elk/deer hunters. Be sure to close those gates, and spook the herds toward the road.

For all you millions of hunters with an unnotched MT elk license and a muzzleloader...

Rumor has it the Dehaan Ranch along Norris road (the biggest and bestest private chunk in that part) is letting all traditional heritage muzzleloader hunters go at it on their place this December. It's referenced as Gallatin Madison Ranch Co on OnX maps. I'm not sure of the rumor, or who/how to contact them, but OnX should list the address of the owner and one could easily acquire phone number. Used to be a guy named Leonard Uiterdyk AKA Ichabod Crane that doled out the permission. Have it it MT elk/deer hunters. Be sure to close those gates, and spook the herds toward the road.
Got any OnX pins to share? Asking for a friend.

I got a daughter left with an elk tag, I’m just trying to figure out how to mount an arca rail to a traditions. Curious if it will rip the ball head off? Good thing vortex offers unconditional lifetime warranty.

I got a daughter left with an elk tag, I’m just trying to figure out how to mount an arca rail to a traditions. Curious if it will rip the ball head off? Good thing vortex offers unconditional lifetime warranty.
It helps to set up in the back of a truck, musket balls need all the elevation you can get on those 950 yard shots. The BC is terrible compared to a 6.5. I emailed Proof to see if they would spin me up a faster twist barrel really reach out there. Also, a hay bale blind in the back of the pickup provides good concealment for 5 minute reloads while you're chasing down the herd for another crack. Make sure you remind the driver to shut off the engine and hold still when you're getting ready to shoot

It helps to set up in the back of a truck, musket balls need all the elevation you can get on those 950 yard shots. The BC is terrible compared to a 6.5. I emailed Proof to see if they would spin me up a faster twist barrel really reach out there. Also, a hay bale blind in the back of the pickup provides good concealment for 5 minute reloads while you're chasing down the herd for another crack. Make sure you remind the driver to shut off the engine and hold still when you're getting ready to shoot
🤦🏻‍♂️ shutting off the engine perks their senses and spooks them. Gotta keep it running and keep rolling slow

The regulations only specify a plain lead projectile, so I’m working on developing a bullet mold based on a .50 caliber 645 grain Berger VLD. Should be a BC over .6. A proof carbon barrel in a chassis stock would be great, and you can just pour in loose RL25 instead of black powder.

Vortex is working on a sight that can easily dial in to 800 plus.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back