Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Non Lead Shot Placement

CB1

I would like to try out some non lead ammo but have heard that shot placement should be different when using non lead.

I typically shoot for lungs and have had good luck with this but with non lead it seems I should aim for the front shoulder. Is this simply based on someone’s bias towards shoulder shots or over penetration with this type of bullet? Based on the bullet’s performance do you need to aim in a different location? I understand each shot and angle is a bit different but if all things are equal on a broadside shot where do you aim? I could be overthinking this but I am curious to hear what you all do and what your experiences have been.

Not sure if it matters but I am shooting a 270 and it would be for deer and hopefully one day elk.

I think your source is using older experiences with non-lead bullets. Design has changed significantly since the old X bullet. Shoot animals in the same place you would others. The advantage to the non-lead if you shoot an animal in the shoulder (in my experience) you don't have near the meat loss as you would with lead bullets. My experience is only based on about 7 animals shot with non-lead bullets but I experience way less blood shot meat and no microscope chunks of lead (not saying it's absorbed in the body or whatever people argue just I don't want it in me)

Issue used to be non-lead ammo was way more expensive than traditional ammunition and often has a different point of impact than traditional bullets, a lot of guys wouldn’t sight in with them because they were so expensive. This lead to them getting blamed because of a poor shot. Also keep in mind that they need to be traveling much faster than traditional bullets to expand so be aware of your ballistics and minimum terminal velocity for it to perform.

Last edited:
Let's see, if you take an FMJ of similar weight and cal and a cup and core and shoot both into a deer in the right spot in the chest, the deer will die very quickly! If you want to shoot through a shoulder with both bullet', both will do it with no trouble depending on the bullet you choose. ie a heavier bullet will be slower and much less likely to shed much weight than a lighter bullet. Two things penetrate, weight and velocity. Give enough weight sufficient velocity and it will penetrate well. give a light bullet to much velocity and it will shed more weight penetrating, maybe enough so that it will not go all the way through. keep the velocity with the light bullet but make it tuffer and it will penetrate much better. That is why monolithic bullet's penetrate better. Now take a monolithic bullet and match the heavy cup and core bullet and you could find the cup and core doing better, if, the monolithic bullet can't be fired fast enough. Two thing's penetrate, weight and velocity! The monolithic retains weight and helps it's better velocity over come it's lack of weight.

Thank you all for the insight! Sounds like as long as the velocity is good I should be fine with my normal target.

As others have said, some of the old myths related to the original Barnes X and XLC bullets seem to persist years later despite improvements in bullet design. The reality is that, with the newer tipped versions such as the TTSX and Nosler E-Tips, these concerns don’t hold much water. I’ve been shooting solid coppers almost exclusively for the last 20 years or so and have taken a couple of elk, 8 antelope, and probably 50+ whitetails over that time period with them in several calibers, not counting many more deer with solid copper muzzleloader bullets, and I’ve probably shot 90% of them in the lungs. I process all my own game and don’t like dealing with busted up shoulders if I can avoid it.

IME, the faster you can push them, the better the results are, but I wouldn’t fret over any shot into the vitals, shoulder or not. No bullet is going to perform the exact same every time, but I’m sold on my overall experience with both the Barnes and Nosler offerings so far. The Hammers have peaked my interest as well based on more on more reviews here and elsewhere.

Aim at the same spot regardless of lead vs non lead bullet. The real difference I see is that copper and gilding metal bullets need to be moving at a higher velocity to expand as intended to do adequate tissue damage. You should be aware of your bullet's velocity and how fast it needs to be moving to expand properly. The manufacturers post this in their specs. I'd be reluctant to shoot critters at distances where your bullet velocity drops below that threshold.

Copper bullets generally expand at lower velocities, but foul more in barrels than gilded bullets. The Barnes TSX (copper) needs to be moving at 1600 fps to expand and the Hornady GMX (gilding metal) needs to be moving at 2000 ft per second. I use the GMX in my 280 AI because my rifle shoots them much more consistently. Other people have really good luck with Barnes.

Same place just won’t have as much damage as a lead bullet. I don’t think I have ever dropped an animal instantly with a copper bullet from a lung shot. Only instant drops I have had you need to break shoulders or spine.

Same place just won’t have as much damage as a lead bullet. I don’t think I have ever dropped an animal instantly with a copper bullet from a lung shot. Only instant drops I have had you need to break shoulders or spine.

My submission for an instant drop with copper. High lung, 168gr .308 TTSX, 150yds. Didn't touch the spine. Only movement was sliding downhill towards me.

IMG_20191116_081212552~3.jpg

Back