Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Non-hunting packs?

thatsjet

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I'm REALLY new to hunting. I did read several of the backpack hate threads but still have this question after reading.

Question: I'm planning my first backpack hunt for mule deer in Eastern Oregon at the end of September, I expect to go for 4-5 days, and my plan was to use my existing backpack which is from ULA. I've done backpack trips this length with this kit before, quite comfortably. I'm adding a Kifaru Gun Bearer and FHF bino harness with range finder pocket for sure, but other than that hadn't planned on going nuts on a new backpack specific to hunting until I learn more and have a better idea of what I need/want. My plan for meat hauling was just to bone it out and bag into game bags, then put all that into a black trash bag for hauling out until I get to my truck which will have an iced up cooler in it (Igloo Extreme 7 day). Total miles from kill to cooler should not be more than 10.

Is that sane? Should I consider adding a frame hauler to the mix, maybe leave in the truck in case I need to do another load, or ______?

Thanks,
jet

postscript: Also got a leftover Elk tag good from 10/12 - 12/31 for just south of there also. I expect I will need more than the existing kit when I head out for that one.

A lot of guys do what you’re describing. I’ve done it with hogs. Planning to do it this year with a mule deer if things go as planned. I got to good of a deal on a Mystery Ranch Glacier to pass up.

If you’re day hunting from your truck or base camp you should have plenty of room in your pack.

Sounds like a good setup to me OTHER THAN the black trash bags. Be careful with that if the weather is warm and you have a long pack out. If so......save the plastic garbage bags for your gear so it doesn't get bloody. Leave the meat in good light weight synthetic bags so it can breath. You can always wash the pack off.

Just my .02

Your setup should serve you well, however, I would negate the trash bags for hauling meat, and invest in either synthetic game bags, or get a few all cotton pillow cases for transporting the meat back. Other than that, good luck!

I carry a few 4 ft long cam straps for big awkard loads. They have really come in handy for strapping items to the outside of the pack if necessary. You may be getting creative if you have to haul meat out along with all of your backpacking gear.

Should be good to go on the pack. I've never had a problem using plastic bags for transport, as long as you can get circulation before and after. It's a judgment call I'm comfortable with but obviously up to you.

I've done that multiple times, should work fine. The only issues are going to be if the bone-out bags still don't fit in your pack.

Also, I've gone both ways in plastic baggin my meat and my gear. If you can let the meat cool for a night then I would bag it, if not, then bag your gear.

Super good advice all, thanks. I think I might separate my gear into a couple extra dry bags and potentially leave some behind while I pack meat to the truck, or use @Nick_CO idea of lashing it to the outside of existing pack. Another member offered to lend me a MR Longbow so that's an option, but just not sure I want to add 4lbs. to my pack weight before I put anything in it.

Whatever decision I make, if I end up with meat to haul I will certainly learn quickly if I decided right. ;)

You certainly can do it, but be careful on your weight load with a pack not designed for it. You can easily wind up with a broken frame. For example, a Gregory ZULU 65 is not rated for carrying more than 40 pounds while a baltoro 95 pro is rated for 75 pounds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back