MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

NM Unit 34 tips

SENMHUNTER

Hey everybody. I was fortunate enough to draw 1st archery hunt in Unit 34 NM. I have never hunted elk before. I am just looking for tips in finding some elk. I have set up a couple of game cameras and caught a decent 6X5 on camera but I only caught him one time. Other than that, the other places I have set them up, I haven't caught anything on them. Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I would watch Randy‘s e-scouting series. It’s super useful for helping you understand where elk might be at certain times of year. And remember, where they are now is not where they’re going to be in two months.

Welcome to HT!

It's fun to catch velvet bulls on cam, but I echo what BTS says.... they will move once that velvet comes off.
Find the cows... those will be your golden ticket on this hunt ;)

In my past research of the unit, I've found the following advice:

1. Get a map of unit 34
2. Throw a dart
3. Go hunt where the dart hit

From my experience, finding elk in Unit 34 is about that easy. I've hunted 34 during second archery, muzzle loader season, and wasted a late season cow tag. Can't think of a spot I've gone where I haven't found elk. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. I'll echo what Rustednuts and Archelk have said. Go scout as much as you can, and have plenty of backup plans. Last time I had an archery tag, I ended up hunting my Plan E spot because the first 4 had hunters in them. Plan E was the easiest spot to access and was covered with elk.

-Guy

Drive around at dusk and tag a roadkill elk. :LOL:
Congrats on 34 tag. Finding elk is easy. They’re everywhere. Good luck!

Never hunted it, but I’ve flown over it tons. All I had to do to see an elk was look down. They’re all over that place!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back