MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

NM Elk Unit 9

BrenttH

Myself and my buddy were lucky enough to draw a tag for NM elk 1st season. We drew unit 9 which was our 3rd choice, ive done research via gohunt for this unit when we were putting in hoping that it we would draw our 1st or 2nd choice but here we sit LOL. Anyways gohunt definitely doesn't have much nice to say about the unit lol as well as some other sites thats ive been researching today. If anyone on here has hunted this unit and would like to give any feedback on their experience in the unit id appreciate it.

You might have a little better luck if you do an intro first.
Sorry not my intent to not give an intro, spent majority of the day trying to figure out a game plan. I’ve listened to the hunt talk podcast since episode 1, not my first time elk hunting but my first time heading to New Mexico primarily thanks to the Hunt talk podcast.

I've hunted 9 a lot from about 1995-2005, but not much in recent times. Unfortunately the unit is not what it used to be, and that's why the draw odds are now so high. It is puzzling as to why the elk herd went downhill so fast, but everyone has a theory. By "first" hunt I assume you mean muzzleloader and not archery?

I guess my vague suggestion would be try to find some thicker spots around the main mountain (most guys will just be hunting along the roads), or maybe hike down into some of the nasty canyons (I never got that desperate). And don't be picky, even when I hunted there most bulls were raghorns and 5 pts, I very rarely saw a 6 pt.

Good luck,
JR

Thanks for the info JR. When I say first hunt I’m meaning sep1-14 archery. Same tactics will come into play I don’t doubt though!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back