Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New Toy

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Seems like every year, I find something that is going to make a difference in my hunting. Either make me more comfortable while in the field, or more effective.

Got a new one in my hands that I have been trying out the last week and will give it the full blown test in New Mexico next week. It is a GPS card that has the surface ownership of every piece of land in the state.

A lot of emails ask how we draw so many tags. Well, it is not that hard really. You just need to be willing to accept a second or third choice, or apply for leftovers. Or apply in areas with difficult access.

Probably the one thing that is the best way to get tags is to look at those areas that have difficut access issues. Those tags are always easier to draw and you have a good chance of finding an animal that might have been getting old in the sanctuary of some private land and he just happens to stumble onto the small parcel of public that you have discovered.

You often see us with maps and GPS discussing property lines. Part of how we hunt. We hunt the public ground, right up to the boundaries of the private. That gives us opportunities many hunters will not take advantage of.

Many guys will shy away from that public/private boundary, as they are not comfortable knowing where they are at. I share that same concern and if there is ever any doubt, I error on the side of caution and let the critters pass.

A good example is the mule deer episode ariing this week. Our GPS and maps told us one thing, but the fence lines gave a completely different impression. So, Lawnboy didn't hang his tag on a great buck, even though the buck really was on public and our GPS told us that.

My point of all this explanation is to talk about a new GPS chip that will give you the land ownership status of all land in a state. Yup, just like having a really big BLM surface map in your hands. And, it is compatible with most GPS units, and extremely accurate.

My confidence level is usually pretty high, given my experience with map reading and the research I do in advance. From what I am seeing with this new toy, my confidence level is going to get a lot higher.

Here is something all serious western hunters need to look into. These state by state memory cards can solve a lot of problems you might have been worried about. Go here.

HuntingGPS-2-486x60.jpg

If you do buy something, tell them you heard about it from On Your Own Adventures, or if you order online, make referrence in the note. They promise that OYOA guys will get the highest priority of service.

The area in New Mexico where we will be archery antelope hunting has a lot of checkerboarded private/public mix. I will give you a full report of how it works for that hunt. So far my experiments here in Montana are looking very promising.

BF,

Just out of curiousity how did you determine the buck was really on public land? Did you somehow determine that the fenceline was not the true property line?

I just called that place yesterday and asked about the downloads. I'm looking at buying a Garmin Oregon 450.

That is awesome. I'll have to check this out as it sounds like something I would definitely be interested in.

I want a Oregon as well. My Wyoming elk hunt has potential private land problems and I am tired of marking up 7.5maps.

If anyone gets a Oregon make sure you get the screen cover. Maybe Khunter can tell you where?

BF,

Just out of curiousity how did you determine the buck was really on public land? Did you somehow determine that the fenceline was not the true property line?

First of all, the maps showed the property line to be at the end of the ridge, not 300 yards our way. The GPS said the same thing. Those should have been strong enough signals, but we wanted to be super cautious.

After the hunt, I stopped in the Forest Service office and inquired. The answer was something to the effect, "Those old pasture fences have been way off for years. Don't necessarily rely on them one way or the other. We need to get those trued up some day when we have budget."

Hope that answers the question.

Very cool! i was wondering when this info would get out - the Oregon looked pretty good to me too. Dink, what's up with the screen? Undoubtedly Khunter's was scratched when you etched your name with your car key into it...:D

Just bought the Garmin Oregon 450T this morning. Will be checking these guys out.

If anyone gets a Oregon make sure you get the screen cover. Maybe Khunter can tell you where?

Would be interested in hearing more about this.

First of all, the maps showed the property line to be at the end of the ridge, not 300 yards our way. The GPS said the same thing. Those should have been strong enough signals, but we wanted to be super cautious.

After the hunt, I stopped in the Forest Service office and inquired. The answer was something to the effect, "Those old pasture fences have been way off for years. Don't necessarily rely on them one way or the other. We need to get those trued up some day when we have budget."

Hope that answers the question.

Well I think you did the right thing...even if the Forest Service office said those fences were wrong. Perhaps the landowner may have disagreed with the Forest Service. I'm a Land Surveyor by trade and I've learned time and time again that just because a map on your handheld shows a property line it doesn't really mean it is the true property line. There are countless cases where judges have deemed the fenceline being the property line. I guess my thought is just use those handhelds with caution. Those BLM maps and forest service maps do not necessarily show true property lines. When we were hunting in New Mexico last year we walked up to a fenceline at the Colorado Border and if I remember correctly it still told us we were 125 feet away from the border. Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to talk down the product...not my intention...I would love to try it out as I know it would be extremely useful guide. We used a similar product last year and it was great...I just found that where it shows you being on a map to not be 100% accurate.

At least some states have unit boudaries as an overlay map, and a seperate purchase.

Scratch that...I think that most of the regular maps have this feature, but it can be purchased seperately if that's ALL you want. It might be a layer that need to be turned on in your Map Setup page on your GPS. Maybe Big Fin can confirm this.

There are more then a few fences placed in the wrong place. This may not be intentional but if I were putting up miles of fence I would sure take the easiest route. And this is what happens all over the west. Just because you put your fence up does not mean that is your property. What I have done in the past when in doubt I have gone to the county that the debated property is in. That way you can get the description of the property and you are covered. It can work our in your favor because a fenceline that everyone thinks is private land may not be.

Well I think you did the right thing...even if the Forest Service office said those fences were wrong. Perhaps the landowner may have disagreed with the Forest Service. I'm a Land Surveyor by trade and I've learned time and time again that just because a map on your handheld shows a property line it doesn't really mean it is the true property line. There are countless cases where judges have deemed the fenceline being the property line. I guess my thought is just use those handhelds with caution. Those BLM maps and forest service maps do not necessarily show true property lines. When we were hunting in New Mexico last year we walked up to a fenceline at the Colorado Border and if I remember correctly it still told us we were 125 feet away from the border. Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to talk down the product...not my intention...I would love to try it out as I know it would be extremely useful guide. We used a similar product last year and it was great...I just found that where it shows you being on a map to not be 100% accurate.

Fowladdict,
This just plain scares the crap out of me. We bought a little sliver of land in Oregon to put a camp trailer and snow roof on. We purchased it according to an old city mining plat and has been done that way for years and nobody has ever said anything whether it's selling buying or trading and the county goes by that plat. I have found all of my orginal pins from the 50's. Now a guy has bought up several large lots and had a survey done (never recorded) which puts my in-laws cabin smack middle in the creek. We almost hung that surveyor so the landowner is paying another guy to survey because he thinks he can develop. We like it over there because there is no electricity, no water (we are tapped into a spring), no nothing. So time to get attorneys involved or just ride things out until something happens?

Idnative,

Just to be clear when I said maps earlier, I was refering to BLM maps and NF maps. Those in my eyes are not true boundary maps, but merely a picture that shows approximite locations of where tracts are located. Plats are a whole different ballgame. Plats do represent where the true property lines are.

I'm not fully understanding the extent of the situation, but my initial thought is if your pins have been in the ground since the 50's you probably have quite the evidence of the location of your lot. I'm not licensed in Oregon and I am only currently licensed in Idaho. I do know of a surveyor in Oregon that might be able to help you out. Do you live in the Boise area? I would be happy to meet you if you have the plats, deeds or whatever else and offer you my thoughts.

FiveptBill,

You would knowingly put up a fence knowing it is in the wrong place, just because it is easier?? Scary stuff right there. Granted, I understand this practice took place during the days of my great-great grandfather, but it should not in this day and age with our current technology. Not only is it against the law (unless you had some sort of written agreement) but that would really suck if the adjacent landowner came in and told you to move the fence to the true property line or they would sue you.

Last edited:
Randy, I have been using these maps on my (Gov't) GPS for a few months now and they have really helped me out while working in the field. I think I have picked up 3 between me and my seasonals. Eric is great to talk to on the phone and very helpful if there are questions. I think he will have a few more sales from a couple of sheep hunters I have talked to in the last two days.

I have only used mine on an Oregon 300, but I know my seasonals are using them on a GPS 76 and an eTrex.

Idnative,

Just to be clear when I said maps earlier, I was refering to BLM maps and NF maps. Those in my eyes are not true boundary maps, but merely a picture that shows approximite locations of where tracts are located. Plats are a whole different ballgame. Plats do represent where the true property lines are.

I'm not fully understanding the extent of the situation, but my initial thought is if your pins have been in the ground since the 50's you probably have quite the evidence of the location of your lot. I'm not licensed in Oregon and I am only currently licensed in Idaho. I do know of a surveyor in Oregon that might be able to help you out. Do you live in the Boise area? I would be happy to meet you if you have the plats, deeds or whatever else and offer you my thoughts.

I am going to bail on this subject for now. I am not trying to hi-jack this thread as that is not cool. And I understand that you were referring to BLM and NF and agree with you on boundaries. Thanks for your input.

I bought CO a couple weeks ago, great customer service. I went with the download version instead of the cards because of the free yearly updates.

300 yards is a big flippin deal. We weren't talking a few feet or yards. the Forest Service guy gave us an aerial photo with the borders clearly marked. I could of shot 2 other bucks, the next day in that draw that were way bigger than the one of got.:( I'll take my chances on the GPS next time.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back