New to NM and SW hunting area?

silverlab

To build off my first post, my friend drew a New Mexico early archery tag. It is our first time headed down to that area. We are wondering how secure the area is when a base camp is set up? We have been to Idaho a couple times in a fairly heavily traveled area and we have left everything in the tent and at camp and have never had a problem with things going missing. How tight do we need to keep things locked up if we need to. I have heard of issues but like it is said before, it happens all over. Looking for some help if possible. thank you!

I have not been to the area you asked about. Good general rule is to keep anything you don’t want stolen either on you or locked in the car. If you have expensive coolers I like to lock them to a tree.

I’ve hunted in a few heavily traveled GMU’s over the last several years. When I was scouting in the Big Horn a couple years ago in late summer the camp hosts at Sitting Bull Campground told me a husband and wife had their entire wall tent stolen when they went out for a hike. That said I set up camp with my wall tent in both archery and rifle in the same campground without worry. Last year hunted ML in the Pike National Forest an hour out of Denver. There were birders and hikers driving by our camp constantly, parties on the weekend. Same with GMU 2B in New Mexico and GMU 22 west of Meeker as far as traffic.
Are there thieves around? Sure, but I’m not going to lose sleep worrying about my camp. Besides a lot of hunters carry sidearms and that is something for them to think about (Not suggesting Anyone should get shot over replaceable property). Usually the stories one hears of theft turns out to be one group of thieves on their little quest. There aren’t that many to worry about. Also I almost always meet other hunters camped in the vicinity and we end up looking out for each other. Not only for security but “did they get back to camp tonight?” Etc.
That said if I have a Honda generator in camp I choke the whole thing with a chain and then chain it to a tree but I see plenty of generators just sitting in camps. As Dave said put your expensive coolers out of sight. Keep honest people honest...

Last edited:
Tweekers in every State. As stated above , use Common sense with expensive items. I just spent 2 weeks in 16A and no problem ,but they are there. Good Luck ,,,,,,,BOB!

Never had any issues. I live here go camping all.the time. I have left things out and returned with no fear of things being gone. I would say you wouldnt have to worry much, but if your in a heavy traffic area dont careless and leave expensive things out.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back