Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New to Eastern WA

Some people probably won't like me saying this, but considering # hunters, % success, and any bull, I think this is why you see so much discouragement for hunting the NE. But honestly, I personally don't think that there would be much a surge of hunters in that district because there are few elk comparatively and the hunting is tough, and unless you have 30 years to figure it out like HUNTNNW, you'll be on the bottom end of the success rate. 1583352479667.png1583352565745.png1583353031642.png1583353053236.png

I really appreciate everyone's input, suggestions, and tips. I'm looking forward to learning Washington(and probably Idaho). If anyone ever needs or wants a hunting/fishing partner, feel free to hit me up.

One other tidbit about District 1: "All available harvest and survey data indicate white-tailed deer populations appear to be reasonably stable in all GMUs associated with District 1. Mule deer populations appear to be stable or slightly decreasing. For more detailed information related to the status of deer in Washington, hunters should read through the most recent version of the Game Status and Trend Report, which is available for download on the department’s website."--This is WDFW's "opinion" not mine, although I tend to believe them over internet posts. I'm hoping to draw Wy general elk this year, in which case I likely won't even buy tags in WA and just put my effort out there, but happy to help point you in some directions for scouting in the meantime, just send me a pm.

I lived near Sasheen lake between 1977 and 1988. I had lots of whitetails on the ranch during the summers but by hunting season they were gone. I hunted the country north of there but it was nasty thick and no sign. The locals said the elk as few as they were were at and north of Cusick.
One fall I rode some of the trails on the northeast side of metalline falls. They were interesting but thick and wet. I had heard rumors of elk near Sullivan lake.
It was poor enough hunting that I just bought a Montana license and and went home and hunted with my dad off of Lookout pass. Time well spent!!!

been quite a few elk up until recently right by sacheen and pretty much all that country to canada until WA decided to turn it into a predator pit. Drastic decline in all of that area in all ungulates

One other tidbit about District 1: "All available harvest and survey data indicate white-tailed deer populations appear to be reasonably stable in all GMUs associated with District 1. Mule deer populations appear to be stable or slightly decreasing. For more detailed information related to the status of deer in Washington, hunters should read through the most recent version of the Game Status and Trend Report, which is available for download on the department’s website."--This is WDFW's "opinion" not mine, although I tend to believe them over internet posts. I'm hoping to draw Wy general elk this year, in which case I likely won't even buy tags in WA and just put my effort out there, but happy to help point you in some directions for scouting in the meantime, just send me a pm.
Yeah, from what I've read there is a definite decline in whitetail harvest in there NE. I've been looking into out of state elk tags also. Thanks again!

The highest density of black bears in the lower 48 reside in the NE WA units, 204,101,105,113,108,121 ..if you want to predator hunt WA is your state, full of bears, cats,yotes and wolves. PM me if you want tips on bear hunting.

some on here commenting must not be in touch with whats going on with herds in WA, this is the second season in a row that quality bull tags have been cut in half in all yakima and blue mountain herds. The herds are a fraction of what they were. drawing one of those tags now is pretty much once in a lifetime.
Yep! This guy knows what he’s talking about. I’ve always hunted elk on the west side but I had a ton of points this year and decided to go for an east side unit…that was a mistake. The draw odds are practically useless in some units because they just keep reducing tags, yet the number of applicants isn’t going down. WDFW couldn’t manage a herd guinea pigs if their lives depended on it.

I’ll be giving the NE corner a try for elk this bow season but will probably just end up just looking for a bear. @HUNTNNW I would love to pick your brain but I don’t think it will let me PM since I’m a newb. Been on HuntWA for years but just discovered this forum.

Yep! This guy knows what he’s talking about. I’ve always hunted elk on the west side but I had a ton of points this year and decided to go for an east side unit…that was a mistake. The draw odds are practically useless in some units because they just keep reducing tags, yet the number of applicants isn’t going down. WDFW couldn’t manage a herd guinea pigs if their lives depended on it.

I’ll be giving the NE corner a try for elk this bow season but will probably just end up just looking for a bear. @HUNTNNW I would love to pick your brain but I don’t think it will let me PM since I’m a newb. Been on HuntWA for years but just discovered this forum.
Good luck to you, I'm giving the NE a go again this year, haven't tried out that way in a few years. Besides bears and cats it's also good for grouse, and huckleberries. You never know, maybe find an elk, wish I had time to scout a bit.

The highest density of black bears in the lower 48 reside in the NE WA units, 204,101,105,113,108,121
Can I ask where this info came from? I'd looked for a population or density map for bears in WA for a while and never turned anything up. WDFW management plan says this:
1628631248513.png

I'd heard growing up that Gray's Harbor County led the nation in two things, suicides and black bears.

Good luck to you, I'm giving the NE a go again this year, haven't tried out that way in a few years. Besides bears and cats it's also good for grouse, and huckleberries. You never know, maybe find an elk, wish I had time to scout a bit.
Good luck to you as well. I’ve only ever turkey hunted up there so we’ll see how it goes. I just hate the idea of hunting in a spike only unit and would much rather take my chances in a lower density area. I’m going over to scout for the first time in a week or so.

Welcome to Washington, we've got a lot of people but the hunting isn't too bad. You shouldn't have much trouble finding whitetails and turkeys over there, and the any elk/any bull units can be pretty good too if you spend the time to figure them out. Plenty of opportunities for most other game as well. Lots of cool areas to explore right around Spokane, some great mountains in the NE corner. I don't know any hunters that live around there anymore though.
Does anyone still hunt Turkey's after Thanksgiving in WA state? I am new to hunting turkeys and looking to get into it without having to seek out a guide if possible. I also am a National Wild Turkey Federation member and am curious about the Chelan area since I live in Island County and hoping not to have to drive to NE WA if I can help it.

Does anyone still hunt Turkey's after Thanksgiving in WA state? I am new to hunting turkeys and looking to get into it without having to seek out a guide if possible. I also am a National Wild Turkey Federation member and am curious about the Chelan area since I live in Island County and hoping not to have to drive to NE WA if I can help it.
Season goes to end of December, not a ton of birds in Chelan area compared to other areas, especially NE, guessing most fall harvest around here is somewhat opportunistic, tend to be around private property seems like. I see more around Colockum/Teanaway area, but this time of year those are probably also around private.

I am also needing to learn how to find their bedding areas. Since I have never gone before. So what I hear you saying is Winthrop and Colville area?

Yeah I'd go Colville area if it's your first time out, locating them can be tricky when they are low density.

Back