New to archery

Mariano20

I recently purchased a used bow as a way to get into archery. I wanted to get advice on proper technique to ensure I am ready for hunting season. Any advice is welcomed

Read a bunch of how-to articles, watch shooting form videos, visit a pro shop, and just get out there and try. Don't expect to hunt the first year. Go to 3D shoots and practice distance judging and shot placement. It will take time.

Welcome aboard!

Good advice above. keep a loose grip, and find an anchor point that works well for you. then just shoot daily if possible for a while.

Check out you tube with John Dudley and his training videos. You can pickup proper shooting muscle memory pretty quick. Your gonna love archery. Keep the same arrows; consistency is the key to everything you do in archery. Repetitive consistency. I'm a Mathews guy but shoot everything next time you upgrade. I thought I was going to be a Hoyt guy and after shooting all the bows presented to me; I almost bought a bow-tech. So, you never know what you'll be fit into and work for you. Buy Easton arrows or gold tip arrows. Why? because they the most popular and they have been doing it forever. They are a readily available arrow depending on your length everywhere you go. Some other brands are only available online and with special order. Find 3D archery tournaments; I shoot ASA. Look ASA online and see if they have tournaments in your area. Finally, Enjoy! It's a fun sport and you'll be shooting dimes in no time.

Great book, teaches everything you'd need to know. Shooting technique, sighting a bow, tuning, etc...

Last edited:
Thank you all for those tips. I live in a small town that unfortunately doesn’t have a pro shop but will try to find one close to me.

Good stuff above. I'm a big believer in "follow-thru" during and after the shot (in any sport). Too many times, I have been guilty of dropping my bow too quickly to watch the arrow flight. Let it hit the target … then … drop your bow.

Whatever you do, avoid the big box stores like the plague for tuning and advice and set ups. It's worth it to drive 100 miles to a private owned small shop rather than 25 to Bass Pro or Cabelas. Once you've been shooting a bit and getting comfortable, have someone video you from the side and back while you shot from the beginning of the draw to the shot and follow through. Take those videos to whatever pro shop you can find and let them critique your form. A quick lesson on the spot can do a great amount of good. Also, once the bow is set up to you, do some french tuning and then some walk back tuning to make sure your center shot is on.

Check and see if their is a archery club near you. You can pick up a lot of information and practice at their range. I agree with Cush about going out of your way to get to a pro shop and not the box stores. When you practice remember to stop when your getting tired. If you don't it's a great way to pick up bad habits that will be hard to break down the road. Then most important have fun and don't beat yourself up if you make a bad shot.
Good luck,
Dan

I agree with what's been said, especially finding a locally owned shop. You've gotta get that bow set up for YOU. Once that's done it's all about repetition. Archery is a perishable skill. I shoot every single day. Even if it's only 2-3 arrows I make sure I go through the motions daily. Just starting out you probably won't be able to shoot 100 arrows but with time and practice you'll build up the muscle memory and be able to shoot more. It's hard to give up once you start, welcome to archery!

Once the whole covid thing goes away, hopefully, go to a public range and there is usually a pretty experienced archer you will find willing to share tips on form or have your shop watch you shoot.

I recently purchased a used bow as a way to get into archery. I wanted to get advice on proper technique to ensure I am ready for hunting season. Any advice is welcomed
Shoot a bunch and don't push your distance to quickly. I grew up shooting bows but stopped for a decade+ but have gotten back into it the last 4-5 years. Its a blast and just enjoy shooting. Don't worry about pushing distance too quick. I picked up this tip that I like recently - for every 10 yards you shoot aim for a 1" group - 30 yard=3" group and 70 yards=7" group. I'm working on 70 and 80 right now as I'm looking to be hunting out this year out to 60. I'm good to 50 currently but 70 is hit and miss and 80 is just starting. Watch some of the youtube channels and talk to the local pro shop if you have one. The two that I've frequented if they aren't slammed will absolutely spend extra time with you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back