New RMEF Membership - Sportsman Member

Appreciate all of you stepping up. They emailed this morning to tell us that the 500 limit is almost met. That's pretty exciting, considering they didn't expect us to sell out the committed number before the official launch on July 1.

really liked the video this morning on YouTube showing some of the things RMEF does for habitat and conservation. It would be cool to see more examples of that and other things they do. And what kind of projects RMEF does. Just my 2 cents.

Glad you liked it. Wish we hadn't ended up in a blizzard. We had planned to go to a few other locations on that day we had a film permit, but just didn't work out. We had a very long list of projects, just here in SW Montana.

The amount of work RMEF has done is very impressive. Their effort to promote that work is less impressive. I have hounded them for a long time to do signage, as other groups do. They do it very rarely and usually only when a collaborating partner pushes the idea.

I just joined. Had to wait and see if I had NV tags to pay for. I was only charged $80 so must have just slipped under the wire. Thanks for the discount Randy. COVID-19 hasn't sent me to the unemployment line but the pay cut is hurting, glad I could do this. Better times are coming!

Glad you liked it. Wish we hadn't ended up in a blizzard. We had planned to go to a few other locations on that day we had a film permit, but just didn't work out. We had a very long list of projects, just here in SW Montana.

The amount of work RMEF has done is very impressive. Their effort to promote that work is less impressive. I have hounded them for a long time to do signage, as other groups do. They do it very rarely and usually only when a collaborating partner pushes the idea.

You read my mind with this short introductory video on the projects that RMEF has been a huge part of. I was going to comment earlier before I seen that you had posted this video about a content idea to help fill out the spring and summer seasons that included small advocacy videos like this. I am from West Virginia and this is my second year of being a RMEF member, I signed up last June and my brother used that Gerber Vital knife that was sent to me for signing up last year on his first mule deer in Idaho. So now I have two and can gift him one. Anyway my idea was to take each state that RMEF has done public access or put elk on the mountain, improved habit, etc... whether recently or historically or both and do a short piece on it. Not the the extent of Rain Deer or Selfless or The Dam that Almost Never Was, but similar to this video perhaps in that 10 minute range. I know that you want to come across as teacher not a preacher or salesman, and try to be sensitive to the current socioeconomic situation of our beautiful country. I am sure you can and have found that balance, just like you did in this well done video about RMEF and creating public access and the others that have come before this one.

I listened to that HuntTalk podcast about Conservation in the current COVID and post COVID world with the Wild Sheep guys, an eye opening podcast for sure on how it effects small businesses that rely on sportsman's dollars to keep their business afloat and that most of the conservation agencies for fundraising had to be postponed to cancelled.

There are states that many people don't think of as "elk" states that RMEF has touched and helped, that many of their residents may not be aware of. My state of WV actually had a herd or two of elk transplanted from Arizona to Logan and Mingo County a few years back, and I know that RMEF had a hand in that. Kentucky has a season for elk (I know that you have been applying), so does Pennsylvania and I remember from a ElkTalk podcast that Missouri is going to have their first elk season to residents this fall. I bet there are many other examples as shown with the graphic of the United States with way points on them shown. All from volunteer work and backing and work from RMEF and its members. There are people that could help out, but don't stating that said agency doesn't do anything to their knowledge in their state so why become a member? Why donate? Why volunteer? Well I am sure even they would be surprised to know that RMEF or other agencies like Ducks Unlimited, The Mule Deer Foundation, Pheasants Forever, The Wild Sheep Foundation, The National Wild Turkey Federation, Whitetails Unlimited, 2% for Conservation, other hunting conservation agencies or even Trout Unlimited (along with other fishing related agencies) have done something in their home state. I know that I want to learn more and do more when and where I can. This Land is Our Land, this Land is Your Land.....

As your mission statement states, "To promote self guided hunting on public land and to create advocates for that cause" paraphrased of course. You do an outstanding job with that and have opened my eyes these last 3 years or so. Just wanted to drop an idea to fill in during the non hunting months or wherever you see fit. From your above post it looks like you and the crew already had a similar idea and can be limited to where you can get a film permit. I thank you, the Fresh Tracks crew, RMEF members and members of other conservation agencies for doing what they do well and will continue to strive for in these most trying of times.

Sincerely,

Forrest

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back