New Mexico Javelina info

WPMVI

Hello out there from Roswell, New Mexico I put in for Javelina here as a back up tag this year and we were fortunate enough to draw for my fiancé and myself. Unit 23 through 27 The whole bottom southwest corner of the state bordering Arizona and Mexico obviously. Neither one of us has ever done any hunting down around that part of the world and I would sure genuinely appreciate any insider info of where I could find some of those little critters from some who knows. Something within reasonable range of some national forest we could camp on would be fantastic but I have no problem at all with doing some driving to get my better half on a nice pig. Thank you and hope everyone does great this year!

Attachments

• AAE03333-4067-4096-A17B-EC58F15B527C.png
    AAE03333-4067-4096-A17B-EC58F15B527C.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
Hi from Texas. I haven’t hunted that area so I can’t offer you any location advice (and most hunters probably wouldn’t give their secrets away), but I’ve hunted javelinas in the Big Bend, which probably isn’t too different. I’ve had success still-hunting through draws and canyons. I’ve stumbled upon javelinas much more often that I’ve seen them around “expected” spots like water holes.

Good luck! Javelinas hunting is some of my favorite hunting.

We had this tag last year and went down the very week of that freak snowstorm that knocked out Texas power, so I'm not sure my experience was typical but - great area, great hunt. I went there thinking that I'd ride the AZ state line and hunt hard until I filled the tag. But we met some guys at a gas station who had tagged out and suggested that we head east toward the Apache hills & Big Hatchet mountains. We weren't seeing much where we were so we followed him up on it. Looking back, I'm not sure it held much for javelina but the area was amazing. Didn't see a single person for the week, found a bunch of deep deep mine shafts, old adobe walls, shot some quail and saw a lot of country that most haven't

I have the same tag this year. I'll probably skirt the AZ line, but if I get bored I may run to the east of the bootheel again, big hatchet peak was just a great time. Exploring some of that stuff totally made the trip for me

We were on the east side of the Florida mountains in March glassing for ibex and saw a group of javelina in the foothills. The roads to get to that area are rough as hell though.

I've seen some a bit north of Deming. There's a reason they break those units out from the rest of the state. There are tons of places where there are piggies down there.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back