Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New hunter.

Brown Burrito

Robert from Minnesota, I'm finally able to start my hunting journey here in the USA, I'll start applying for elk over at Montana next year, I'll appreciate any insight about which unit you guys recommend, I'm not afraid of hiking long distances or the cold, thanks in advance.

Lots of elk, lots more country. Pick a region, get the government travel maps, look at success stats. Look on north sides early, look for timber in midseason, last of the season is a crap shoot. Steer clear of the private land. Kind of like looking at models- nice to look at but not worth your time, tears or money.

Happy to have yah. Time for OnX. My advice is to Not lock in on a state. Research. A pronghorn hunt in Wyoming would be an awesome start.

Depends on the timber land. In Montana so far nothing has changed and you are free to hunt most of it. I really meant more of the ranch land. Sorry! The ex-Plum Creek land that I know is so butchered that the only thing you can do with it is cross it to the remaining habitat on federal land.

Welcome. If you want to hunt sooner rather than later in MT, go for the general tags. Either general elk or big game combo. I’d recommend the latter for a first hunt as it will allow you to take either an elk or mule deer, and in many units will allow either a cow or bull elk. If successful, you could also apply for a Deer B tag would would allow for a doe in addition. Trophy potential in those units is less and there will be more pressure, but it’s the best odds of getting you into the woods with a tag, which is what really matters.

Welcome Aboard. Don't over look PA & KY for Elk permits. They only charge an application fee ($10 or so). If you're drawn only then do you to have to purchase the license and tag. Odds ain't great, but they're some Awesome bulls in them there hills.....PA also has a lottery for a guided hunt, mounted head, not limited to a zone, and a 74 day season. $25 a pop, 6 for $100.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back