Caribou Gear Tarp

New Here

danwolf

Just joined here, looking to learn more about western hunting. I've hunted public land since I was 12 growing up in Vermont. I live in Texas now and hunt the rare public land there and have branched out to Arizona this past year for their OTC Archery season chasing mule deer. That was a blast, looking forward to do that again next year, but setting my goal on an archery Elk hunt this August/September pending work schedule (I work 28 days on 28 off).

Welcome! Look forward to reading your stories. Pictures always win this crowd over.
Great to have another parent taking their children outdoors.
Best to your hunts and draws.

Welcome! Your home state of VT is beautiful.

Did you draw an AZ archery tag this year or looking OTC elsewhere?

Welcome! Your home state of VT is beautiful.

Did you draw an AZ archery tag this year or looking OTC elsewhere?

I didn't draw this year in AZ. I hunted the January OTC archery season. Totally missed the AZ draw deadline but I'll probably buy a bonus point later.

I'm thinking of OTC Archery Elk in either UT or CO.

Grew up in LA and got out of hunting once I started moving around and didn’t have access to land. In AZ now. I built a spreadsheet to keep me on track.

I missed WY preference point by a day last year. Checked GoHunt and saw the reminder too late. I don’t subscribe to GoHunt yet but free portion still has good articles and reminders on deadlines.

Grew up in LA and got out of hunting once I started moving around and didn’t have access to land. In AZ now. I built a spreadsheet to keep me on track.

I missed WY preference point by a day last year. Checked GoHunt and saw the reminder too late. I don’t subscribe to GoHunt yet but free portion still has good articles and reminders on deadlines.

Man LA to AZ is quite the jump, did you grow up hunting swamps or the piney woods?

Yeah, gohunt's free part does help quite a bit. I don't know my schedule exactly quite yet, it often changes so that's why I don't always apply for a hunt/limited entry hunt and opt for OTC opportunities. Texas has a draw system that opens in the end of August for hunts in Nov-February, works a little better for me with an odd schedule.

I grew up south-central Louisiana and fished swamps and cypress lakes but never hunted swamps. Hunted deer hardwoods in north LA and on an island in the middle of the Mississippi River that was planted cottonwoods. Hunted piney woods for deer and squirrel in central LA.

I loved just walking the woods hunting squirrels as a kid. AZ gives me that for big game. So far I've killed a javelina and a cow elk. Struck out on a rifle Coues deer last year but had a blast.

Welcome! The OTC deer hunts here in AZ are still quite enjoyable. Your schedule is similar to mine, 2 months work, 2 months not working.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks!

I grew up south-central Louisiana and fished swamps and cypress lakes but never hunted swamps. Hunted deer hardwoods in north LA and on an island in the middle of the Mississippi River that was planted cottonwoods. Hunted piney woods for deer and squirrel in central LA.

I loved just walking the woods hunting squirrels as a kid. AZ gives me that for big game. So far I've killed a javelina and a cow elk. Struck out on a rifle Coues deer last year but had a blast.

Yeah, it's cloud nine walking the woods hunting as a kid. I hear Coues deer hunting is quite the challenge.

Welcome to the group from SouthWest Kansas.
Thanks!

Welcome! The OTC deer hunts here in AZ are still quite enjoyable. Your schedule is similar to mine, 2 months work, 2 months not working.

Yeah totally had fun in AZ this January, totally want to do it again! Man 2 months off sounds nice. But I'd totally might miss archery elk if I worked two months.

Yeah totally had fun in AZ this January, totally want to do it again! Man 2 months off sounds nice. But I'd totally might miss archery elk if I worked two months.

Ya, that has happened to me in the past... Welcome, and there is a ton of good hunting to be had in AZ, clearly as you have discovered.

Ya, that has happened to me in the past... Welcome, and there is a ton of good hunting to be had in AZ, clearly as you have discovered.

A few years back I drew a rifle hunt in south Texas for whitetail where 160+ inch deer are regularly taken in the area...had to work instead.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back