New Elk Hunter

AMCoe2017

Just moved to the Western Slope from Northern Indiana and I’m eager to start big game hunting, particularly Elk. Moved in in March so don’t believe I’m going to be a resident long enough to get a resident tag but hoping for OTC. Is it unheard of for new hunters in the field of big game to shadow an experienced hunter? Just wanted to learn what I can from someone who already knows what they are doing. I am completely open to the idea of waiting until next year so that I know more about what I’m doing and that gives me time to get all the gear I need but would still like to get out this year if I can!

Just moved to the Western Slope from Northern Indiana and I’m eager to start big game hunting, particularly Elk. Moved in in March so don’t believe I’m going to be a resident long enough to get a resident tag but hoping for OTC. Is it unheard of for new hunters in the field of big game to shadow an experienced hunter? Just wanted to learn what I can from someone who already knows what they are doing. I am completely open to the idea of waiting until next year so that I know more about what I’m doing and that gives me time to get all the gear I need but would still like to get out this year if I can!

Welcome, in Montana when I was growing up the rules were don’t mess with a mans lady, wood spot, or hunting spot. 😃 However, if you join RMEF or the Mule Deer Foundation, and get involved, doors may open and offers may be made. I live in Washington now. Thankfully I’ve been lucky to make connections that have led to good deer hunting, but I haven’t had the same luck for elk. What I’ve learned is that nothing replaces effort and time. Hang out in sporting goods shops, hike, research... you got this!

Welcome, in Montana when I was growing up the rules were don’t mess with a mans lady, wood spot, or hunting spot. 😃 However, if you join RMEF or the Mule Deer Foundation, and get involved, doors may open and offers may be made. I live in Washington now. Thankfully I’ve been lucky to make connections that have led to good deer hunting, but I haven’t had the same luck for elk. What I’ve learned is that nothing replaces effort and time. Hang out in sporting goods shops, hike, research... you got this!
Thank you! I appreciate the advice and I will definitely be using it! I should have been more specific in my initial post in that I just moved to the western slope of Colorado. Love the advice from someone with experience in Montana and Washington though! Thanks again!

Don't sit out a year. Get out and get your feet wet. Strike up a conversation with folks at work. etc. and you'll find some fellow hunters. Did you hunt deer in Indiana?

Thank you for the advice! Yes, I did hunt whitetail back in Indiana, I also bird hunted and trapped as well.

Welcome aboard, enjoy your new state and hunt this year! I would recommend starting with pronghorn or deer first then elk! Either way, you'll have a blast!

Where are you located?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back