New custom rifle

freu1chr

Looking at getting a custom rifle in 300 win mag. I have a christensen arms mesa in 6.5 PRC and its an amazing rifle but I also would like a great rifle in 300 win mag. Should i stick with a christensen or try something else? Looking for a Sub MOA rifle. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
There are plenty of factory sub MOA rifle options. If you don’t reload there isn’t much sense in a custom besides saying you have a custom. Factory ammo will be your Achilles heal even with a full custom.

Now if you reload or have access to someone who will for you, then by all mean chase that rabbit down it’s hole. I’ve done it twice now. Both were in calibers not offered from a factory. They shoot great right along side my lowly .243, which is a factory Rem 700. They are all cloverleaf guns, two just cost a lot more than the one.

I have done that,,,,once in a 35 Whelen. It sits in the safe. I bought a Kimber Hunter in 280AI, it shoots way under MOA with my reloads, weighs 5 3/4 pounds and cost $765. And came with great factory trigger too. The 280AI replaced my 300 win mag which I was overjoyed to sell.

Usually for me, a custom means that i bought yet another Savage barrel. :rolleyes:
Or got a deal on a Mauser action.
The Mausers are by far more expensive for me to build.

As for a custom, lots of places build some great custom rifles. Just depends on what your looking for.

Minimum weight hunting rig i'd go NULA (New Ultra Light Arms) by Melvin Forbes, or Proof Research. NULA starts around $3,500. Proof around $5K.
My Forbes 24B in 280 Rem weighed 5.5 lbs with rings. With sling & Sightron SI 4-12X40 still under 7lbs.

If your looking for blued, & wood, i'd lean towards Dakota Arms. Not cheap, but man are they nice! Plus instead of 300 Win Mag, you can have it chambered in 300 Dakota.
Lazzeroni also makes some beautiful rifles. And have chamberings that are the King of Speed!
7.82 Warbird pushing a 200gr 30 caliber at 3,350fps.

So it all depends on what your looking for and your budget.

Oh, and i'd hardly call the Christensen a "custom" rifle. They are mass produced. Not made to order.

Looking at getting a custom rifle in 300 win mag. I have a christensen arms mesa in 6.5 PRC and its an amazing rifle but I also would like a great rifle in 300 win mag. Should i stick with a christensen or try something else? Looking for a Sub MOA rifle. Thanks in advance.
If you get another Mesa, the muscle memory to operate it will be the same.

You build a custom around a bullet and how far you intend to shot stuff with said bullet. Today there are many high end factory rifles that are basically semi customs with sammi chambers, benefit of true custom is a non sammi chamber and matching mag box.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back