Caribou Gear

Nevada 61-71 elk

CABugle

I drew 61-71 late elk and am looking to see if anyone has been there in the last few years or has any pictures of bulls from there.

I plan on making one scouting trip out this summer, not to find elk but to look over the country and get familier with it. If anyone has a good starting point to start my scouting that would be great. I have already ordered maps and will also call people off of the huntin fool list as well as talk to the biologist.

If anyone is willing to share any info the questions I have are: how is the elk densitiy? What is a good bull for that area? and if wet how are the roads?

Thanks, CABugle

My dad had this tag in 2008, before they split it into early & late. We got dumped on with snow (6 inches) the day before opener. Once it melted, those roads turn into a muddy mess. I would definitely take chains.

http://www.jarbidge.com/index.html Some of these bulls are from 071, some from 072. My brother in law’s friend killed a 386 net bull in 2007. They helped kill a 370 bull the year before. There are definitely bulls like this in the area, but I don’t know if I would hold out for one. 330/340 and I would probably be pulling the trigger on this hunt. My dad did hold out and ate his tag….

I would personally focus my efforts in 071. The elk in 061 seem to get pressured and head into Idaho or onto the reservation. Plus 061 is an atv paradise. Lot's of people there year round. Other people seem to have a high opinion of this area, I am not one of them. Good luck on your hunt.

CABugle,

Hope this can help. I had this tag last year (late 061 Bull Elk) and my friend NVLongbow posted this thread with some pictures last year:

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=248678&highlight=nvlongbow

The name of the post is First Elk for Jerreep and was posted November 16 of last year. In general, we received a tip to look for the elk to be crossing back and forth from Nevada to Idaho. This is exactly where we found the elk. I shot probably the third largest bull in the bunch and there were two others that I would guess went around 350. Not monsters, but very nice bulls. They were in a bunch of around 50 elk and we saw another bunch of about 40 cows. Until I shot this bull, not one car had even driven down the road near where we found the elk. Take note of the scenery in the photos. While everyone was on Copper Mountain, we were about 5 miles south of the Idaho border....in very open ground. Something to consider for the second hunt. I doubt seriously these elk were where we found them during the first season so scouting would not have revealed this bunch. Pressure is your friend in that second hunt. Good luck!

Jerreep thanks for the info! The pictures really get me excited, I cant wait for the hunt to start.

CABugle

CA Bugle, Sorry for the mess up on the latest post. I drew a 061/071 rifle cow elk and my wife drew a 061/071 rifle bull elk this year. I live here in NV and Jerreep is right. When the elk in 061 get pressure the head to Idaho. I will be scouting in 071 up to my cow hunt. By the time the cow hunt opens the archery and muzzle loader hunters will have them pushed several mile away from any easy access.

I know they are in that area because my buddy got oil fever and went to n. Dakota. He called me as he was passing through the northern part of nv to let me know he saw a nice size herd of them. Goodluck.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back