Caribou Gear Tarp

Nebraska Man Pleads Guilty to Poaching

It is too bad the county attorney don't see these forums and know how people, that are their constituents, feel about these poaching cases.

ClearCreek

Last edited:
Outlaws like that don’t learn their lesson when punishment is so little. They only learn how to better cover their tracks as to not get caught again. My hunch is that he will continue to poach even without a license. Perhaps prison time and steeper fines would help.

I'm always amazed at how little time poachers tend to loose their hunting and fishing licneses for. In most cases it's only a year or two - even on some of the worse cases (covering tracks, obviously pre-mediated\planned, etc)...

I agree with what people are saying here in general. They plea bargained it down so I am wondering how strong their case really was and why the DA decided not to pursue the case further. There should be prison time involved too as I doubt this is the first time this guy poached.

My brother in law is a game warden. There is a judge in one county that will pretty much dismiss every case he brings in if the violations are only related to Fish and Game.

We got a judge that handles cases in the Laramie County courts too that is lenient and does not decide on the merits of the case but how they want the law to say. This case in particular should be audited by an independent third party to verify that the law was complied with both at the prosecution eval and at the judicial level.

about the same as the guys in pa that killed 3 elk and one was a 460 bull thought they should have been punished more myself

You guys should be happy with that. In Aus if you kill a wedge tailed eagle it's up to a $10k fine and prison time. Couple of years ago a guy killed 406 and only ended up with 15 days in prison and $2500 fine. Did get deported after though back to NZ I believe.

Poaching deer can land you with a fine of a few hundred dollars, if you're really unlucky loss of gun license for a few years. Generally a slap on the wrist.

My feeling is hunting and fishing should be prohibited for life. They should be fined at least $25K for each big game animal and serve ten years in prison. Until our prosecutors and judges take poaching seriously, you are going to have problems with not just new offenders, but also with repeat offenders who take the slap on wrist fines as cost of doing business. It also makes the job of the game warden even tougher.

Poachers are gonna poach, but two years seems like just a slap on the wrist. Blatant disregard for the law like this should be more like 10 years, at a minimum.

Agreed. Before any of the states are going to be able to fight poaching effectively, there must be serious consequences of doing that and not just a slap on the wrist.

American jurisprudence does not highly value illegally poached wild animals or domestic animals for that matter for restitution calculations. The US criminal justice system focuses more on punishing, however lightly, the offender than paying the state for a wild animal.

The state legislatures could enact extremely steep, required restitution such as $100,000 cash and a mandatory 365 days for a poached elk or bighorn, for example.

Further, the overwhelming majority of county governments around the country do not want to expand their jail space because the burden and exponential costs are shifted to and then covered by the property-owning taxpayers. In sum, more jails equals higher property taxes and raising taxes is a guaranteed way to lose reelection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back