Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

National Forest Restrictions

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

Public use restrictions are starting to crop up, ranging from full on forest closures to travel restrictions on roads with any standing vegetation. Probably best to check ahead before you plan any travel to make sure there are no fire closures or use restrictions that may put a damper on your fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Bob's going to be one hellofa smokey Marsh-mallow this year. Was hoping to make a good Oorah! on my first Great Plains muzzy hunt this rut season.
Hopefully it manages to dance around my sledfest area.

Just checked a timed entry pass for RMNP for 8-10 (a Tuesday)....said to check back 8-9 at 5pm & that they'd go fast.

umatilla here in oregon entirely shut down even where there are no fires,,yes,fire danger is high,,but government overreach is also high..i think they are getting a bit carried away shutting the entire forest down in umatilla nat forest oregon.

umatilla here in oregon entirely shut down even where there are no fires,,yes,fire danger is high,,but government overreach is also high..i think they are getting a bit carried away shutting the entire forest down in umatilla nat forest oregon.
Everything with you is gubbermit overreach, a conspiracy of some sort, or you whining about how you've been wronged somehow.

They aren't getting carried away, they're taking actions that need to happen for all kinds of reasons.

Resources in man power, equipment, etc. are already stretched thin with the fires already burning all over the US. Initial attack is way under-staffed, meaning skeleton crews to deal with rapid response when someone torches off another fire.

Red Flag warnings in effect with tinder box conditions are also present.

Just what we need is to keep the woods open for your convenience, have another start or two that will put fire-fighters lives on the line so you aren't without a free playground.

How about grow up, wake up, and smell the coffee...

I fought fire for 8 years and its not a joke...honestly, I got out of it because fire behavior was extreme enough that we were living history of things that had never happened before...like a fire running 120K acres in less than a day.

The turning point for me was having a close friend, actually the best man at my wedding, nearly killed on the South Canyon Fire...he could have easily been one of the 14 that didn't make it. Attending funerals of colleagues is no fun...let me tell you, and I'm about sick of it.

So, up to and until the time you want to gather up a pulaski and put your ass on the line...I think its best you zip your lip about the closures being government over-reach.

The risk isn't worth keeping them open so you aren't inconvenienced...and there is just slightly more than a metric chit ton of thought put into these closures.

Try thinking about something and someone other than yourself and your conspiracy theories.

malhur nat forest,dechutes nat forest and others are just as dry,,i can see closures by the fires,but to shut the entire forest down is a bit much//if done carefully ,theres plenty of recreation that can be done 100 pct safe/of course buzz,s hot air is a fire danger in itself.zip your own lip buzz.

Fished pickaroon on the upper north platte last night and I saw they have camping closed within 1000 ft along a section of the river near the Mullen Fire. I knew something was up as soon as I started down the river and no one was there

i do agree its hot and dry here,,fires could start easily about anywhere ,in any forest around here,,but what about nevada,arizona,utah,ect,,,they still have many of there national forest open yet,,yes there are alot of stupid people out there,,yes,they need to be very careful,no fires ,,but closing the entire forest is still a bit much,,the north end by elbow creek fire,{lightning caused} is fine,,but not the whole thing..fall bear is just around the corner as well as archery season.

i do agree its hot and dry here,,fires could start easily about anywhere ,in any forest around here,,but what about nevada,arizona,utah,ect,,,they still have many of there national forest open yet,,yes there are alot of stupid people out there,,yes,they need to be very careful,no fires ,,but closing the entire forest is still a bit much,,the north end by elbow creek fire,{lightning caused} is fine,,but not the whole thing..fall bear is just around the corner as well as archery season.
BFD, if archery and bear seasons are cancelled or delayed. Better than killing fire fighters, spending huge sums of money fighting fire, or burning up homes and infrastructure.

Your priorities are out of whack, world doesn't revolve around you.

I'd think you'd be pretty foolish to think that many bow seasons and some rifles seasons wouldn't be closed this year. It's crazy dry. And dryer than most any other year that had closures in the past.

Sucks, but its a roll of the dice every year. Winter kill will be high this year. The places I traveled the last couple weeks in MT and ID had little to no grass.

Google "Temporary Closure Notice for XXXXX National Forest" for the closure notices of the NF where you expect to hunt. It will include a physical description of the closure area, who to contact, how long , etc.

Many closures run through Oct 31 (Panhandle/St Joe), or even Nov 31st (Umatilla), UNLESS RESCINDED.

Here is an example from St Joe NF

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back