Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Mystery Ranch or Badlands?

montanadogs

So I'm looking to buy a new external frame pack for packing out meat etc. I'm torn between the MR NICE LOAD SLING or the BADLANDS "THE OX". I've tried both on and they are really comfortable. I know the ox just came out but I'm trying to get a list of pro's and con's for both. MR is way easier on the budget by about $300 so I'm more inclined to go with that pack but I love how big the BL is. These would also be used for backpacking. I would greatly appreciate everyone's advice. If there is something else out there I'm totally open to other options.

Did you try both out with a HEAVY load? Dumb question perhaps, but that comparison is what helped me sort this out.

Not sure how a MR load sling could cost $300 less since it retails for $365 (including the needed NICE frame). AS compared to the Badlands for ~$270 unless you own the NICE already.

If you already have a NICE frame the decision is a no-brainer, Spend $65 on the loadsling attachment? I am assuming you do not and maybe missed the minor detail that you have to own a NICE before you can use a loadsling since most guys who ponied up that big money for MR would be too embarrassed to publicly discuss that non-MR options exist, me included.:D

Not knowing what your current MR set-up is ( or is not). I would add the MR NICE frame has many pack configurations that can be swapped out, seems a great feature (especially when I borrow the others from Dink when my crew cab is not ideal for a certain application).

K- For some dumb reason I type $300 i meant $100. Late night last night. I don't own either. I saw the ox yesturday at scheels, I called them and they sell it for 459. The major difference I see is the the ox you can convert into a day pack. I think I'll have to look at MR a little harder. I just started researching last night.

I thought I saw the ox on cabelas for $270? Maybe that is with just the frame,?Anyway good luck. Since I am financially compelled to be a MR fan and flag waver (spent $600 plus for a dumb pack), just consider the NICE frame can be outfitted with the load sling, Crew Cab(cross between a load carrier, day pack, and multiday backpack and maybe the most popoular MR set-up for hunting?), 6500(regular backpacker type bag, and others.

That is a valuable feature, especially if you have decided the NICE frame is the cats meow, so to speak for comfortably hauling a lot of weight. just swap out the bag attached to the frame and hit the trail.

I've tried on a lot of hunting packs, ended up buying a MR CC. After using it a little bit last year it seems to carry weight amazingly comfortably. If you go with the load sling/NICE frame you can always get different packs and have lots of options.

Just my opinion, I'd rather pack around some tasco binos and a 30-30 than a badlands pack.

Get the Nice frame and longbow bag. If you are going on a BIG trip, you can always get a larger capacity bag to fit on the frame.

Here's the last 2 heavier trips out with mine, within the last 10 days.
2010MTbearpack.jpg

WYtruck.jpg

Ditto on the MR vote. I had a Badlands 4500 prior to the MR and didn't have a good experience packing out a NV muley a few years back. However, there are a lot of guys that swear by Badlands. As for me, I've made the switch to MR and love it. :D

MR has another fan. K hunter you convinced me to give them a try. Just bought the NICE frame with the crew cab. Thanks for the input. I dont' think I'm going to be disappointed.

MR for sure. That crew cab can pack a lot of weight and be comfortable..............Montanadogs, i have the meat sling and have never even considered using it. THe crew cab pack works as good or better for packing the meat anyway.

MR for sure. That crew cab can pack a lot of weight and be comfortable..............Montanadogs, i have the meat sling and have never even considered using it. THe crew cab pack works as good or better for packing the meat anyway.

Agreed, I've never used the load sling I purchased either. I do kind of wish the longbow had existed when I purchased my crew cab, would have made for a harder decision I'm sure.

I will say the one thing I do not like about the Bull Hearse is when it is snowing or raining really hard. I never use the top pack so it fills up pretty fast, makes a mess. Not a big deal probably just being a baby. One place where I would guess the long bow would shine. However I am to broke to find out.

I have thought about using the load sling and top pack for shed hunting but I am to lazy to swap everything out and try it.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back