My lab has badly cracked molar

just remove it, full dental pull the tooth, if the dog is healthy otherwise a technician is fine no need for an anesthesiologist

I rescinded my request for the anesthesiologist on watch, as I agree that was overboard. Saves some $$ and its a large animal clinic they probably do dozens of surgeries every day and know what they are doing. I discovered today that a second smaller molar on the same side is also cracked 😖 so we’ll see what happens. Hopefully there’s no more. I am putting it in the hands of the vet to decide. They are doing x-rays/CT before proceeding and will call me while she is under with the restoration or extraction plan. Procedure is set for tomorrow 6/8.

Is your dog chewing on wood or rocks? Something must have precipitated two cracked teeth.

Yank it. It'll hurt you worse. I had one of my molars pulled 10 some years ago. Didn't do anything with it until recently to prevent the "gap" from closing. Apparently that matters.

It'll be a lot less painful than an abscess or infection!

antler, most likely. always chewing sticks in the yard too. Typical lab, needs something to chew or a toy at all times
I never ever let me dog chew antlers or hard leg bones. I learned with my Flatcoated's canine. There are some good rubbery dog toys they can chew, or a stick perhaps, but not hard stuff. Never ever.

Home from the vet, less the large pre-molar. The other smaller tooth didn’t need to come out. All other teeth reported to be fine. She is drugged, drooling and resting comfortably. 2 weeks of soft food and no toys or stick (yeah wish me luck with a Lab on those instructions!) Thanks for all the comments and interest.

Attachments

• BCEB9730-BDA6-4716-A509-8E4F38B8F91A.jpeg
    BCEB9730-BDA6-4716-A509-8E4F38B8F91A.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 6
Home from the vet, less the large pre-molar. The other smaller tooth didn’t need to come out. All other teeth reported to be fine. She is drugged, drooling and resting comfortably. 2 weeks of soft food and no toys or stick (yeah wish me luck with a Lab on those instructions!) Thanks for all the comments and interest.
My yellow went through pretty much the exact procedure. Slowed her down a couple days then pretty much acted normal. You would never know she is missing a couple teeth.

Glad you were able to get it resolved. She’ll back to her old self in no time.

The good thing about dogs is they don’t know what happened or that anything is missing.

I never ever let me dog chew antlers or hard leg bones. I learned with my Flatcoated's canine. There are some good rubbery dog toys they can chew, or a stick perhaps, but not hard stuff. Never ever.
Wouldn't hurt my feeling one bit if the antler dog chew fad blew up. No way splinters of antler can be good for a dogs digestive system.

Wouldn't hurt my feeling one bit if the antler dog chew fad blew up. No way splinters of antler can be good for a dogs digestive system.
Or broken teeth! I don't get the antler chew thing, and it ain't happening at my house. That said, the wife's shepherd snagged the bottle of barbeque sauce off the grill tonight and chewed the plastic to bits. No broken teeth but I'm only approximately sure I got all the plastic back.

I thought I'd found indestructible dog toys a few years ago when I bought 4 of the large Kong black snowman shaped toys. My 3 English Pointers & 1 Llewellin Setter were constantly flexing their jaws on those things & never damaged them. Then my wife found a little female Pit mix that needed a home.

By the time that little Velociraptor was 6 months she'd shredded all four. Then I found the one pictured. It's been 8 months with 2 English Pointers, and adult Llewellin, the Pit and now a 4 month old Llewellin and isn't scratched. Worth every penny I paid. Screenshot_20230608-233423_Samsung Internet.jpg

We have a goughnut thing and it does seem to be indestructable. But our shepherd doesn't really seem to care for it much. It is heavy, and if I toss it in the house, something will probably get broken.

We've had better luck with this
145940_MAIN._AC_SL1200_V1545251898_.jpg

It is soft, rubbery, light, and somehow indestructible. It works well for a tug toy and to throw like a retrieving dummy. There are other similar toys this they sell, but other than a three-armed version of this same thing, they don't attract his attention or they don't hold up as well .

We have also found that Ford Escapes are great chew toys as well, but they get to be a little pricey and don't fit with the living room décor. May your mileage vary.

We have a goughnut thing and it does seem to be indestructable. But our shepherd doesn't really seem to care for it much. It is heavy, and if I toss it in the house, something will probably get broken.

We've had better luck with this
145940_MAIN._AC_SL1200_V1545251898_.jpg

It is soft, rubbery, light, and somehow indestructible. It works well for a tug toy and to throw like a retrieving dummy. There are other similar toys this they sell, but other than a three-armed version of this same thing, they don't attract his attention or they don't hold up as well .

We have also found that Ford Escapes are great chew toys as well, but they get to be a little pricey and don't fit with the living room décor. May your mileage vary.
With labs, it honestly seems like if they can't chew it apart, they loose interest in it. At least that's what my parents lab thinks... Snapchat-1161505567.jpg

With labs, it honestly seems like if they can't chew it apart, they loose interest in it. At least that's what my parents lab thinks... View attachment 279220
I understand what you mean, but try different things until you find one that clicks and works for both you and him. This is what worked for us. Different dogs, different things. Gus used to chew holes in the drywall for shits and giggles. Now he doesn't chew anything but a canvas toy that lost all its stuffing and became unrecognizable long ago. Fynn seems to be tapering his addiction to Ford Escapes, and this purple thing keeps him happy for long spells at a time. Each dog is different.

It's a big thing over here, antler dog chews on eBay, I would never give one to a dog unless you want broken teeth and vets bills, I mean for the dog obviously :ROFLMAO:
Hopefully when I sell my antlers they go for stick making.

Back