Yeti GOBOX Collection

Must Have Pack features

Melman

Hi guys. I'm going to be buying my first pack for longer DIY hunts. I'm not really looking for a specific brand but they would be appreciated as well. I know Mystery Ranch is a good one and I've looked at the EXO and Kuiu packs. I'm looking for features that are must haves in your experienced opinions. Ex. Water proof, Built in rain covers, internal lashing systems, internal frame, external frame, size (3000-6000 cu in) for a week long hunt etc. what does a pack need to have and what's not necessary. do you guys spray your packs to keep them more water proof. I don't just want to go out and buy a EXO because its expensive and seems like the right one to buy. Also Weight. what is the heaviest empty pack you would buy for a week long hunt. I ask Because Alps Outdoorz has one for a pretty good price that seems like it has it all but weighs 9lbs 3oz for the whole system.

thanks in advance for any tips or info.

For me personally weight is key under 5lbs, meatshelf, hydration bladder compatible, 5000 cu in (this is a function of your gear more than the bag some guess have old stuff and need 7000 some have new expensive gear and can do 3000). Rain covers are cheap just buy one later it's more important that it's durable material I would focus more on codura bags and shy away from nylon. Something to note my SG pack with my tent, sleeping bag, and pad is going to way less than a completely empty Alps commander bag.

Last edited:
I think it is all pretty much personal preference. For me the weight of the pack is critical. I've been lugging an old mountaineering pack around for years and it is heavy. It will most likely never wear out but I look at the Seek Outside packs and dream of the extra 5 lbs or so I could not be carrying. I don't have the money to replace the pack I have but it tempts me every time I heft it onto my back.

Hi guys. I'm going to be buying my first pack for longer DIY hunts. I'm not really looking for a specific brand but they would be appreciated as well. I know Mystery Ranch is a good one and I've looked at the EXO and Kuiu packs. I'm looking for features that are must haves in your experienced opinions. Ex. Water proof, Built in rain covers, internal lashing systems, internal frame, external frame, size (3000-6000 cu in) for a week long hunt etc. what does a pack need to have and what's not necessary. do you guys spray your packs to keep them more water proof. I don't just want to go out and buy a EXO because its expensive and seems like the right one to buy. Also Weight. what is the heaviest empty pack you would buy for a week long hunt. I ask Because Alps Outdoorz has one for a pretty good price that seems like it has it all but weighs 9lbs 3oz for the whole system.

thanks in advance for any tips or info.

I like a pack that holds my rifle securely as I often pack meat down steep, open
country with a fairly heavy pack and treking poles.

Abitlity to use a water bladder, access to the bottom/middle of the pack, ability to compress small enough to use for a day hunt, and not stick above my head are about the end of my must haves.

As others have mentioned, weight is key. I was lugging around some pretty old packs for years, not knowing what I was missing. I ended up getting a Kuiu pack about this time last year and have loved it since. Having a good fit for my body - especially the hip belts is key. Otherwise, I would suggest you think through how you would pack the one you are looking at with your own gear. So long as you don't have to dig around for your commonly used items you will be happy.

Functional Load lifters are a must for heavy loads.

Mystery ranch packs tend to run on the heavy side. I love my EXO 5500. it is my only pack. I use it from day trips to week+ long excursions. SG makes a very similar pack to the exo but with a different frame. Kifaru makes an excellent pack as well.

Last edited:
I too like being able to attach my rifle to the pack so I have hands free. That's really a plus! I like to have extra pockets on the pack internally and externally. Always nice to put smaller items in pockets and keep them safe and still be able to find them when you need that particular item.

In list of importance for me
1) Functional load lifters for my height (above the shoulder so weight is placed on the hips and chest)
2) Ability to take a heavy load
3) Weight
4) Comfortable belt
5) Adjust-ability
6) Belt pockets (This is a personal preference, but I REALLY like having storage in front of me that I can access)
7) Good place for a spotter

There some older, but VERY helpful, threads on Bowsite about packs. Arron (Elkreaper) from Kifaru helped out a number of us about 10 years ago, before he started working for Kifaru, to understand what worked and didnt. The threads went so far as to test a number of bags under some pretty heavy conditions. I learned a lot from those threads and it helped me make a decision and start backcountry hunting. As for personal experience, I had access to Badlands backpacks at dealer cost and used several of them. I like the functionality of some and not so much of others, but the weight of the good bags were too much. For example I really like the functionality of the Ox (I have packed out a number of deer and elk in an Ox) but the full bag (back when it was sold with a bag) was over 9 lbs. When Kuiu released their first bags I was really excited to try one. I bought the original Icon pack and have been really happy (so happy that I sold all my Badlands packs). It takes weight better than my Badlands packs and weighs almost nothing. I have heard that Mystery Ranch packs, although heavy, are awesome for being comfort under a heavy load. Kifaru is another awesome bag, but I personally don't have much experience with them. I hope that helps.

I am also in the market for a new pack. For me, I am focusing my search on something that will be comfortable, especially loaded with 100+lbs. A load shelf - so I don't have to hike back to camp to get my pack frame when I am fortunate enough to get an elk down in the backcountry. Organization/Ergonomics - a pack that will be perfect for me 90% of the time (day hunts for me) but might be capable of expanding if I need it to something out of the norm. So far, I am leaning towards the Exo 2000. I was also considering the Mystery Ranch Pintler and the Kifaru 22 Mag. Good luck! Let us know what you decide on.

I to am in the market for a pack, mostly a day pack for now. Hopefully a backcountry hunt in the future. I have decided on a kuiu 1850 and will add a bigger bag when needed. I have a buddy that has used his kuiu to pack a couple elk out and has been extremely happy with it.

Back