Muley hunting around Miles City, Mt

AlleghenyElk

Hello all. Planning on doing a rifle mule deer hunt around the Miles City, Mt area this fall. Looking at hunting HD 704 mainly but depending on pressure and deer numbers, may check out 705 and 701 as well. We've never hunted this area before so was just curious if anyone had any incite on how the deer populations are in the area and also the hunting pressure. The biologists that I've spoke with make it sound like there's lots of deer as long as were not trophy hunters. I'm going to assume since its so close to Miles City there will most likely be lots of hunters but that's to be expected. We are FAR from being trophy hunters, just looking for a chance at a couple decent Muleys. Planning on getting there around the end of the first week and prob only hunting for 3 days or so. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone in the woods this fall!!

BlakeA

Assuming you are hunting public land, if a 110 inch buck fits "decent" for you, I'm sure you will dig a couple up. Have super low expectations on the deer hunting and quality aspect of the hunt and just enjoy the landscape.

rogerthat

Being honest here, super low expectations is the right idea both quantity and quality. Our deer populations in this area have been absolutely crushed by the drought. I’m not sure the “pro’s” have a very good handle on it. It’s bleak. You can still have fun. I wouldn’t even expect to see “a lot” of deer but depending on where your from it may still seem like a lot. Good luck

ShootsManyBullets

If you want success follow 2 types of vehicles around then hunt where you see them stop

1. Minnesota license plates - they know all the good spots
2. Dusty Chevy Suburbans from the early to mid 90's, especially if it has some kind of rack on the rear bumper.

Hunt41

Those are trophies!
I would shoot any of them this year.
You guys are spoiled.

MNWhitetail

Was out in 705 last year - I would recommend spending your time in a different area. Population was way down compared to years past. Good Luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ploxwithblox