Mule Deer - One Trip Pack Out - By the Numbers

Did you happen to take and weights of the quarters with bone in?

I did not, but it's fairly significant in terms of % weight loss. Also you can't fit 4 bone in quarters in a SG meatshelf + your camp.

I honestly don't really get why people ever pack out the bones, I guess it could give it some structure if you were going to hang the meat? but the bone traps heat so it's good to remove it... also why carry stuff out you are just going to end up discarding.

In terms of boning out meat, the front shoulders take a bit of work (4-5 min), but I can do the hindquarters on a deer in about 30 seconds and it comes off as one big piece.

Pictures + butcher + bone out + skinning the head on a bull last year took me just under 4hrs.

Great stuff! Congrats on the buck! All I can say is 100 pounds? NOPE! = two trips for this guy. you're a beast. I hear lots of guys talk about 100 pound pack outs. I did 80 pounds once and felt 2 inches shorter when I got back.
Yeah 100 lbs is in the realm of possibility for me, but I'll take 55 lbs x twice as many miles just about any time I can

Always fun to see what other guys are using. What is your tripod?

That is a really solid kit for sure.

There are guys that suck at estimating weight and there are guys that can pack ridiculous amounts of weight. Sometimes they are one in the same, sometimes not... hahaha A friend of mine packed 2 boned out front moose quarters one day... about 1/4 mile. 170sh lbs. I was surprised his pack didn't blow up.

My breaking point is about 130lbs. Over that Its just too painful. 100 is pretty doable, if you take your time. Its surprising that a sheep has as much or more meat on it than a deer. Mine average about 60lbs, one was 78lbs. The heads with full skull are 18-21lbs cape is another 4-5 depending on how much it dried out. Camp and a full sheep is a full friggin load for me, and one I don't care to pack far. I've made way more back tracks than all in one.

@Bambistew its a targus... super janky but cheap and light, so far great for a Bino only setup.

Keeping just the skinned out skull, no lower jaw, tongue, and with a decent but brief fleshing job definitely cut weight, also it was a really young deer versus your 7+ ??year old sheep, but yeah it is interesting. Do you pack any bones in that weight range or just meat?

Last edited:
Do you pack any bones in that weight range or just meat?

Just meat and skull. Those are 10yo rams averaged. once they hit 8ish they are all pretty similar.

I've killed a couple muledeer that where substantially heavier than average. Those mature bucks can be huge. Greenhorn killed a couple that were frightening big.

Great thread! I sure cannot quite compete in the weight category anymore; around 100 pounds equals to trips for this guy.
Very nice deer, all of a part of the experience - it was his place and time. Great looking country.

Congrats on the buck! I'm curious about your water bladder setup with your SG pack. I have the same pack and just put my water bladder in the meat shelf area but haven't found a good way to keep it from sliding down. I noticed your bladder has a string tied to the cap, is the other end tied somewhere on the frame? Or do you have any of the SG bladder attachments?

Congrats on the buck! I'm curious about your water bladder setup with your SG pack. I have the same pack and just put my water bladder in the meat shelf area but haven't found a good way to keep it from sliding down. I noticed your bladder has a string tied to the cap, is the other end tied somewhere on the frame? Or do you have any of the SG bladder attachments?

I have the SG, hydro sleeve for my bladder, the string is tied to a plug so I can disconnect my hose from the bladder so that I can pull the bladder out to fill from a stream without having to pull my hose out of the bag.

1568841568181.png

Awesome data and congrats on the buck and successful hunt.
Thank you for taking the time to provide data.
I agree it’s amazing sometimes how many unnecessary items people pack. I just recently started really paying attention to the things I NEED and the things I normally take/took. Has really helped me cut some substantial weight from my pack. Clothing is a major area most people tend to overpack. What size MSR bladder are you running?

Clothing is a major area most people tend to overpack. What size MSR bladder are you running?

Absolutely agree, the first weekend I didn't bring the uncompaghre pants but it got pretty cold the second weekend. I think it was 35 degrees that night at 9k ft where the temp was taken and I was camping around 12k... I slept in them in my bag and was glad I packed them.

That one is the three, I also have a 10 that I bring occasionally, and then a 10G jug if water is really scarce.

I don't see game bags, did I miss them?

Sorry it should be ursak, access bag, game bags... I just tossed them all on the scale together. I have the caribou gear caribou sized bags. They will fit a boned out elk, but wont fit bone in... too narrow.

Same set from last year
1568843813036.png

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back