Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

Perhaps everyone should stay home. I’ll go check out the access situation and report back in November.

If you're accessing the Boulder River Road into the Beartooths I just talked to the Forest Service. It'll be open to Box Canyon at any rate, but the bridge about 2-1/2 miles upstream of there is gone and the guy I talked to said it was very doubtful it will be replaced this year.

Well......

If you have a region 5 tag basically every major access point besides a couple are pretty much smoked right now.

Including the pass😱
I have a lot of family in the Billings/Redlodge area. It's pretty crazy the amount of damage along the Beartooth face.

Well with the way government works that'll be about the time they get the bridges fixed so you'll have the red carpet treatment.

Glass half full
The bridge at Olie's Corner has been replaced and is open- access to Fishtail is restored, looks like all the way to Nye- the MT 511 map shows MT-79 open.

Work is continuing on the washout bypass by the mine- this gives access beyond Nye to Woodbine and West Stillwater. I expect it to be fully open in a week or two- possibly sooner.

I think West Rosebud/Mystic is also open, with Olie's Corner/Rocking J bridge opening.

East Rosebud seems like it's gonna take a while- the drone footage looks pretty bad.

The Rock Creek drainage along 212 out of Red Lodge is closed. Main Fork, Lake Fork, etc. West Fork is open to Basin Lakes campground, but gated afterwards (pavement is open, gravel is shut down).

Boulder River Drainage is now open.

I think it might be time for me to get some hiking in.

I'm not challenging you on the bridge just going based off what i was told by the FS.

The bridge repair or new bridge will not be completed this year. Now something may have changed its accessible through box canyon but not past the down crossing.

The accessibility into East seems very unlikely to. They told me they didn't even know what the trailsystems look like past the parking area. So i dunno what that means.

West is accessible like you have stated.

502 looks like it is gonna be one long damn walk.

Gardiner is open.

This is my only source of info, beyond what I've hear around work- https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/custergallatin/alerts-notices/?aid=73752

Two orders of note- one for the Beartooth Ranger District for the Red Lodge area closures, and one for the Yellowstone Ranger District showing Boulder River closures. For now, they're only showing the campground closures along the Boulder. Not 100% on why they wouldn't show a road closure, but your guess is just as good as mine.

This is my only source of info, beyond what I've hear around work- https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/custergallatin/alerts-notices/?aid=73752

Two orders of note- one for the Beartooth Ranger District for the Red Lodge area closures, and one for the Yellowstone Ranger District showing Boulder River closures. For now, they're only showing the campground closures along the Boulder. Not 100% on why they wouldn't show a road closure, but your guess is just as good as mine.
"The Beartooth, Gardiner and Yellowstone ranger districts are open, but certain sites, roads and other areas are still closed because of damage.
The Beartooth Ranger District has the most closures, with some areas expected to be closed for the rest of the season.
Road and area closures in that district include: An area closure on Forest Service land south of Red Lodge for the Main Fork and Lake Fork of Rock Creek, West Fork Stillwater Road, West Fork Rock Creek Road at Basin Campground and East Rosebud Road.

The East Rosebud Road will be closed for the season, and that closure includes the Sand Dunes Picnic site, the Jimmy Joe and East Rosebud campgrounds.
When state Highway 419 is reopened in Stillwater County, the Forest Service section of Stillwater Road will remain closed.
The Sheridan, Rattin, M-K and Limberpine campgrounds are closed for the season. Greenough and Parkside campgrounds are closed, but could reopen later in the season.
The district could open to Pine Grove Campground, but is dependent on an evaluation of West Rosebud Road.
The Rimrock Bridge was washed out, which would cause a hike on the Beaten Path from East Rosebud to be significantly lengthened. The Forest Service advised not to do the hike until August.
Road closures in the Yellowstone Ranger District include: Main Mill and West Mill Creek on National Forest System roads only and Main Boulder Road.
The Chippy Park, Four Mile, Hicks Park and Snowbank campgrounds are all closed. The Snowbank Campground will be closed all season because a bridge was washed out. Six Mile above Gold Prize is also closed.
"

^This is all I could find.

Road and area closures in that district include: An area closure on Forest Service land south of Red Lodge for the Main Fork and Lake Fork of Rock Creek, West Fork Stillwater Road, West Fork Rock Creek Road at Basin Campground and East Rosebud Road. When state Highway 419 is reopened in Stillwater County, the Forest Service section of Stillwater Road will remain closed.
I can't find anything saying that W. Fork Stillwater Rd is closed on the USFS Alerts website I shared. I know a temporary road has been built to the mine, around the road collapse. Where did you find this news?

The district could open to Pine Grove Campground, but is dependent on an evaluation of West Rosebud Road
Haven't even seen that W. Rosebud Road was closed- no alerts on the USFS website. Thought that it was vital to get access to the power plant at Mystic?

The Rimrock Bridge was washed out, which would cause a hike on the Beaten Path from East Rosebud to be significantly lengthened. The Forest Service advised not to do the hike until August.
That is... significant. The bridge wasn't exactly right on the water. I'm guessing a logjam piled up, dammed the canyon a bit more, and that caused the big issue.

That is... significant. The bridge wasn't exactly right on the water. I'm guessing a logjam piled up, dammed the canyon a bit more, and that caused the big issue.
I would be completely shocked if that bridge WASN'T destroyed, based on the rest of the destruction in the East Rosebud.

Have you seen the drone footage of what used to be the road to the East Rosebud trailhead? Half of the road is now active, flowing riverbed.

Watch 8:30 - 15:00.

The homeowners of Alpine will be lucky if they're able to access their properties before next summer.

I don't think the USFS's top priority at the moment is updating their website, although that would make our lives easier as we try to figure out if we need to plan to walk 15 miles or 50 miles on our hunts this fall.

I would be completely shocked if that bridge WASN'T destroyed, based on the rest of the destruction in the East Rosebud.

Have you seen the drone footage of what used to be the road to the East Rosebud trailhead? Half of the road is now active, flowing riverbed.

Watch 8:30 - 15:00.

The homeowners of Alpine will be lucky if they're able to access their properties before next summer.

I don't think the USFS's top priority at the moment is updating their website, although that would make our lives easier as we try to figure out if we need to plan to walk 15 miles or 50 miles on our hunts this fall.
Glad I didn’t get the sheep tag this year. If I had, I’d be looking for horses.

I can't find anything saying that W. Fork Stillwater Rd is closed on the USFS Alerts website I shared. I know a temporary road has been built to the mine, around the road collapse. Where did you find this news?

I believe the temporary road to Stillwater mine is a private road for the mine’s use. I am not positive on that, but I believe that is the situation. that they paid for the road, and likely paid the underlying landowner for the access. I do not think it is open to the public, therefore the West Stillwater trailhead would not be accessible.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back