PEAX Equipment

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

There are definitely some places that are dangerous if it’s still open in the last half of November but first, it has to stay open, second, you have to get there, third, it has to be the kind of year with those snow conditions.

We’ve definitely had a few times where we had to think about it, but it is very rare. Non issue if you’re hunting the opener.
I've seen small slides in early November up there. Nothing you would have to worry about. Not to say that it is impossible. A couple guys got swept in the bridgers early-season a few years ago but survived

Rock slides in scree fields over cliff bands are a much bigger danger. They go hand in hand with sheep country. A an experienced graduate student lost her life to one this summer in the Beartooths.

Rock slides in scree fields over cliff bands are a much bigger danger.
That is for sure. I’ve seen/heard an enormous chunk of rock come down that if a person was near, they would be a goner. We were several miles away and it was an impressive thing to experience

Every few years there is an early avalanche fatality it seems, they can be dangerous for sure. Not so much the danger of burial but drama from being raked across the underlying terrain.
Looking back at my career in the mountains most of my closest calls have been falling/moving rocks. Ive spent alot of my time technical climbing, which of course, exposes you to higher rates of rockfall but Ive had plenty of scares when vehicle sized boulders roll under you when moving across them. Learning to judge where the micro "safe" zones are with in a larger landscape full of potential unsafe zones and trying to minimize your exposure to the unsafe zones can be vital.

An addition to the story that I posted a while back about hunting in the Hilgard Mountains back when it was in an Unlimited unit. That was the story of the two legal rams that I came across and decided not to shoot one, then they went up the mountain, another guided hunter wounded one, they both ran back by me, and I gave the wounded ram a finishing shot.

So I went back and found the Outfitter and his Guide and their hunter and took them to the dead ram. I helped them dress out the ram, then the three of us (the hunter was a woman who just watched us) packed the ram up over that mountain and down the other side to their camp.

The west side of that mountain was very steep with many avalanche chutes that were bare of vegetation, and there were several steep troughs of gravel size and smaller rock that we just stepped into, then were able to just ride or ski the trough down 50-100' to another one.

That made coming down a good part of the mountain quite easy.

Long time lurker...first time poster!! I’m in the game! The unlimited units have had my attention for a couple years and I’m ready to see what we can turn up!!

Still wondering why the heck I would want to head in there with the bears for a narrow chance at a ram!?! Especially when I could easily be chasing screaming bulls no where near a bear!! It seems there is something wild and special in that country that is calling me, at least for one trip in!!

Long time lurker...first time poster!! I’m in the game! The unlimited units have had my attention for a couple years and I’m ready to see what we can turn up!!

Still wondering why the heck I would want to head in there with the bears for a narrow chance at a ram!?! Especially when I could easily be chasing screaming bulls no where near a bear!! It seems there is something wild and special in that country that is calling me, at least for one trip in!!
Welcome to the darkside!
116033966_10157314766176782_1382962963341193744_n.jpg

There's only one site in the world where you can talk about Why do people drink ginger ale? Setup potential cage fights between members on a mule deer forum, talk, about, the, usage, of, Oxford, commas. AND talk about dink rams people pay the MTFWP off to keep quiet about it.
Sounds like a fine representation of the eclectic mix that is The United States Of America!

No posts in over a week!?! Hoping that means everyone is thinking elk for 2022 and not sheep and I can sleep easy knowing it’s going to be just me and the bears in there and no competition for camp spots!! 😆

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back