Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

7DA96E6F-3452-471D-BDF3-E41AC5463CB6.jpeg
MTGomer - Is that a live picture of your ram? If so, pretty cool!

SNOW TOO:

Some UL hunters might recognize the area, but the photo was shot decades ago when it was a different unit opening much later in the year. (Sorry about the blue shift, but neither the photographer nor the slides have aged well.) Moreover, all the legal rams in the unit were killed last year.

BSH_R01_F09_0287P10_spindrift.JPG

Now, the snow to which I refer is not the obvious foreground and middle-ground stuff in the photo. What looks like clouds or fog farther up the valley is all spindrift. MT Gomer, EYJONAS and others have actually encountered more severe and deeper snowfalls in recent years than what I had to contend with in the 1980's. I guess, by mid-November, the stuff was largely worn out when I hunted. The bigger challenges were the sub-zero temperatures and the incessant high winds, which blew me off my feet on several occasions.

As Shawn Stewart explained to me ages ago, the reason that Bighorn sheep can survive Beartooth winters at all is that the wind blows so frequently and severely it constantly sweeps portions of the high plateaus to expose forage. The next photo might provide a hint of that. (It was taken near the site where I missed a nice ram by horribly under-estimating the range. I wrote about that much earlier in the thread in "More Than One Way To Miss A Ram.") Note the striations in the foreground snow.

BSH_R01_F33_0287P10_v2SSE_RAW.jpg

The ram killed was nearly 4x as old as Boddington’s ram, and very well deserved. The Beartooth dream!

The Beartooth dream.

I have hunted with the successful 501 hunter and one thing I can tell you about him is that he always brings some questionable preserved meats.

@EYJONAS! may need to revisit his boycott of the salami section of the shelf at the grocery store.

No. There are tons of sheep on their gram, and several Montana sheep, but none of the recent ones are unlimited sheep. You can tell by the body habitus of the hunters.
Oh cmon who you bluffing? LMFAO "can tell by the body habitus."

The Beartooth dream.

I have hunted with the successful 501 hunter and one thing I can tell you about him is that he always brings some questionable preserved meats.

@EYJONAS! may need to revisit his boycott of the salami section of the shelf at the grocery store.ii
Probably not gonna go that but, I did bring something new this year and was amazed. 20210916_174232.jpg20210916_190506.jpg

Made a hot pizza at 11k feet in while waiting one foggy afternoon.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back