Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

Hey all,

I would first like to thank everyone who has contributed here. This thread is the single reason I decided to join HuntTalk. I have read the thread in its entirety and found loads of useful information along with some great stories.

My name is Alan and obviously I am new here. I stumbled into this thread when I went down the rabbit hole of unlimited sheep hunting in MT. A buddy and I have worked out some deals and he was silly enough to agree with helping me hunt the unlimited units (even multiple time as it will be necessary). I didn’t grow up western hunting and when I started at 26 a Rocky Mtn Bighorn tag other than in the unlimited units is probably out of the question as I was late to the point game. After much thought I have committed to this and all the pain it may bring. I’m looking forward to the adventures these units hold for us and with lots of luck maybe I can join that elite and lucky list of guys who have harvested a unlimited ram.

Thanks again to all who have contributed. I look forward to following along as a HT member this year and for those to come. I am open for any question or comments helpful or indifferent.

Hey all,

I would first like to thank everyone who has contributed here. This thread is the single reason I decided to join HuntTalk. I have read the thread in its entirety and found loads of useful information along with some great stories.

My name is Alan and obviously I am new here. I stumbled into this thread when I went down the rabbit hole of unlimited sheep hunting in MT. A buddy and I have worked out some deals and he was silly enough to agree with helping me hunt the unlimited units (even multiple time as it will be necessary). I didn’t grow up western hunting and when I started at 26 a Rocky Mtn Bighorn tag other than in the unlimited units is probably out of the question as I was late to the point game. After much thought I have committed to this and all the pain it may bring. I’m looking forward to the adventures these units hold for us and with lots of luck maybe I can join that elite and lucky list of guys who have harvested a unlimited ram.

Thanks again to all who have contributed. I look forward to following along as a HT member this year and for those to come. I am open for any question or comments helpful or indifferent.
Good luck out there man. Looking like it'll be a smoky season with all the sheep in the timber by September.

Hey all,

I don't know whether it is because you are a masochist, an optimist or like at least a few kindred here, an optimistic masochist, but I welcome you to the forum and the MT Unlimited fellowship.

I do have one question for you: Do you have any idea of what your buddy might have planned to exact his revenge?

Good luck out there man. Looking like it'll be a smoky season with all the sheep in the timber by September.

Unfortunately we won’t be out this year hunting the unlimited units. I bought a new house back in May and my buddy and I both have some good tags for elk and deer in our pockets for this year. I was planning to get out to scout it this year but that looks unlikely as well. The smoke makes everything tough and it seems to be getting worse every year.

I don't know whether it is because you are a masochist, an optimist or like at least a few kindred here, an optimistic masochist, but I welcome you to the forum and the MT Unlimited fellowship.

I do have one question for you: Do you have any idea of what your buddy might have planned to exact his revenge?
Thanks for the warm welcome. I may just be crazy. I’m guardedly optimistic about success in the form of harvesting a ram but I have zero doubts that undertaking this adventure for however many years will make my buddy and myself better men and we will share memories very few individuals have.

As far as the revenge is concerned. I know it involves at a minimum Alaska, a Moose tag and a raft. I’m also hoping it involves time in the unlimited units with a rifle and a sheep tag in his hands!!

There is always a tag other than the unlimited sheep tag that a person can get where they’ll see more game and have a higher chance of filling.
For me, it took completely setting those opportunities aside.
ymmv
This is 100% true. Some of the worst OTC elk units are probably on that list. With reaching the deal we did and planning on this being a long term investment of time and resources we decided to use up some points we had. A couple final hunts to iron out any gear issues and a chance to use up some points along the way.

I did the same last year. I had a previously planned elk hunt and couldn’t do both last fall so I did the elk hunt and am committed to the sheep hunt from now till I tag one.
That’s our plan as well. We wanted to get any distractions out of the way and get a few more good hunts in testing things out prior to taking that jump.

Hey all,

One bit of advice. I would make sure you are able to kill elk and deer on demand before heading into the UL's. If you haven't killed a good bunch of critters then it might be a good idea to become proficient at harvesting animals before entering the UL's. This isn't the place to cut your teeth. I can promise you the hunters that are successful are very proficient at their craft. Being very comfortable hunting the backcountry is also very important. This isn't the place to learn those skills. I won't even mention the other critters walking around at night.

The UL's can be an awesome experience or terrifying experience.

Trailhead pic of my unlimited hunt early 90’s. Pay close attention to the essentials beer, instant coffee and a bota bag. If you don’t know what a bota bag is don’t even think about attempting the unlimited!! Yes I harvested a ram on that hunt. I was able to hunt and harvest a sheep in my early twenties for cheap as a resident. Don’t over think it just get in there unless you don’t know what a bota bag is.

Attachments

• 30A879CB-B325-43E0-8095-96F12957A73B.png
    30A879CB-B325-43E0-8095-96F12957A73B.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 70
Trailhead pic of my unlimited hunt early 90’s. Pay close attention to the essentials beer, instant coffee and a bota bag. If you don’t know what a bota bag is don’t even think about attempting the unlimited!! Yes I harvested a ram on that hunt. I was able to hunt and harvest a sheep in my early twenties for cheap as a resident. Don’t over think it just get in there unless you don’t know what a bota bag is.
Experience tells me that a cask-strength single malt is a much more efficient way for one to pack his liquor. It does triple duty too: solace, disinfectant and fire-starter, but only in emergencies for the latter two! Add celebration libation to the list if one gets a bit lucky.

Experience tells me that a cask-strength single malt is a much more efficient way for one to pack his liquor. It does triple duty too: solace, disinfectant and fire-starter, but only in emergencies for the latter two! Add celebration libation to the list if one gets a bit lucky.
Don't forget a good cigar. Warms on the cold nights, and weighs considerably less. Just wait till after the first snow this year before lighting one up.

Back