PEAX Equipment

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

If weight wasn't an issue I would have it up there........plus a bigger tripod!!!!!!!!!
Could prob offset the weight by leaving stuff at home that you wont use. Like a rifle!:ROFLMAO:

All kidding aside I'm sure it would be pretty awesome after you got it up there.
Always trying to find ways to shave a little weight and I already feel I'm a little on the heavy side packing an 80 over a 65.
Looking at the weight it would be about like me packing my scope twice!

Could prob offset the weight by leaving stuff at home that you wont use. Like a rifle!:ROFLMAO:

All kidding aside I'm sure it would be pretty awesome after you got it up there.
Always trying to find ways to shave a little weight and I already feel I'm a little on the heavy side packing an 80 over a 65.
Looking at the weight it would be about like me packing my scope twice!

Me and my rifle are best friends when I'm in the UL's. I don't think it ever gets out of reach the entire time. I have been adding weight to certain areas of my pack and taking weight from other areas. It's kind of a game and there really is no finish line.

The weight of good optics will save your legs a lot of walking. Going in solo I think gives the hunter the most questions of what to bring and what to leave. If you've got a partner, bring the biggest, brightest, spotter you can and make your partner carry the tent or some of your water. Unless of course it's smokey, then you can probably get away with the 1x sunglasses and forget the rest of your optics.
Smoke was not an issue in 502 when it opened in mid-November. And added weight, if somehow magically transported to the sheep ranges, could help anchor a hunter to the windswept plateaus. Unfortunately, I never mastered magic.

IMPORTANCE OF BIVOUACKING:

The night before the climax of my successful 1980's hunt in area 502
--many have suspected the location, but I now am willing to confirm due to revision of season dates and boundaries that resulted in inclusion of the territory that I previously hunted within today's 501, a season and area that I will likely avoid if I am blessed with miraculous physical regeneration and the ability to once again pursue Bighorn rams in the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness--found me very close to a location where I had twice already been taken off my feet by wind earlier in the hunt.

On the day of the preceding misadventure, I had staggered into the lee of a boulder only to be instantly dusted like a powder sugar doughnut with the spindrift generated from fluffy layers which had previously resided under wind-shattered slabs of compacted crusty snow. The topmost and grainier portions of such slabs, icy pellets that averaged about the size of BB shot, had already pelted me to the point of frustration as the persistent and gusty wind found fractures and levered irregular slabs approaching four square feet of area into the maelstrom. There, they instantaneously disintegrated into densely-patterned, shotgun-like blasts that stung the minimal patches of skin I had to leave exposed for navigation. Even the impacts on my parka-shrouded arms and torso were wearying.

In the lee of the boulder, I doffed my pack and retrieved my wind gauge, an instrument I had owned for more than a dozen years without good cause. I held the gauge as far out into the wind stream as I could manage from the minimal shelter provided by the boulder. I watched with a mixture of concern and confirmation of my suspicion as the ball within the pitot tube would jiggle manically in the region of 35 - 40 MPH then suddenly shoot and peg itself firmly against the upper 65 MPH limit of the instrument's capacity. As a kid, I had lived with seasonal Santa Anna winds, which can sometimes exceed 100 mph; yet, I had never been literally taken off my feet. On that afternoon, I knew that I could not buck the wind and hike the miles back to my spike camp safely.

I opted to drop, probably 1500 vertical feet, to the shelter of timber. A photo of my bivouac site is posted below:
1621177549991.jpeg

TO BE CONTINUED...

IMPORTANCE OF BIVOUACKING:

The night before the climax of my successful 1980's hunt in area 502
--many have suspected the location, but I now am willing to confirm due to revision of season dates and boundaries that resulted in inclusion of the territory that I previously hunted within today's 501, a season and area that I will likely avoid if I am blessed with miraculous physical regeneration and the ability to once again pursue Bighorn rams in the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness--found me very close to a location where I had twice already been taken off my feet by wind earlier in the hunt.

On the day of the preceding misadventure, I had staggered into the lee of a boulder only to be instantly dusted like a powder sugar doughnut with the spindrift generated from fluffy layers which had previously resided under wind-shattered slabs of compacted crusty snow. The topmost and grainier portions of such slabs, icy pellets that averaged about the size of BB shot, had already pelted me to the point of frustration as the persistent and gusty wind found fractures and levered irregular slabs approaching four square feet of area into the maelstrom. There, they instantaneously disintegrated into densely-patterned, shotgun-like blasts that stung the minimal patches of skin I had to leave exposed for navigation. Even the impacts on my parka-shrouded arms and torso were wearying.

In the lee of the boulder, I doffed my pack and retrieved my wind gauge, an instrument I had owned for more than a dozen years without good cause. I held the gauge as far out into the wind stream as I could manage from the minimal shelter provided by the boulder. I watched with a mixture of concern and confirmation of my suspicion as the ball within the pitot tube would jiggle manically in the region of 35 - 40 MPH then suddenly shoot and peg itself firmly against the upper 65 MPH limit of the instrument's capacity. As a kid, I had lived with seasonal Santa Anna winds, which can sometimes exceed 100 mph; yet, I had never been literally taken off my feet. On that afternoon, I knew that I could not buck the wind and hike the miles back to my spike camp safely.

I opted to drop, probably 1500 vertical feet, to the shelter of timber. A photo of my bivouac site is posted below:
View attachment 183429

TO BE CONTINUED...
Sounds like late season elk hunting in SE Wyoming.

Nothing specific to add here but just wanted to say I have been following along for a little while and can't wait until I can go hunt in the unlimited's. Will be going to school in Bozeman in 2022 and plan to hunt every year until I can't buy a tag for 7 years! Good luck to everyone hunting this year and congrats to those harvested in the past.

I owned the razor 11X33. Leave it in the truck for this hunt. You need something much better glass than that for hunting in the UL's. If you want the razor line then look at their bigger glass.
i agree, I used the razor 11x33 in my unlimited adventure the first year and to say they left alot(if not all) to be desired would be an understatement. Go big or go home

Looking to follow you guys that get into the unlimiteds this yr, Was going to do some summer scouting type of vacation with Tam pre scount for next yr but a lady in a suv ended those plans my truck was gone and a tore up shoulder n elbow not cryin, could have been a lot worse but all my training came to a hault a month ago
Ill be rooting for guys on here n living vicariously through you this yr

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back