Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

In 2019 I made the trip from NC to scout in the summer. I teamed up with another Hunt Talker who had interest in the same hunt. We spent a few days in one of the units and found a legal ram. I had a baby on the way so I didn’t buy the tag that year and chose to just scout instead. My hunting partner drew a goat tag in the overlapping unit in 2020 and we went in with his sheep and goat tag and saw no sheep but filled the goat tag. Just a few weeks ago I purchased my first tag and he and I plan to go back in come September. This will be my first time with a tag in my pocket.
Take my energy @geetar - But seriously, pulling for you man

If anyone is scouting this summer and wants some company, give me a holler. Im in the Beartooths all summer, and I’m good for about 20 miles and 6k in a day, give or take. Most of the time I’m alone, but it’s nice to have some company every so often, specially crazies like you all.

I didn’t pick up the tag this season. Seems like I am always starting a new falcon, at least the past going on 5 seasons, and have to get flying birds right in September. One of these years I’ll have a reliable bird going into the season and be able to hold off til October for 2 weeks of sheep chasing second half of September! Priorities. Le sigh (I’m not French but I like to sigh in French sometimes).

So, as I'm reading this my only thought......Is a 6.5 CM going to stop a G-bear? Maybe bears are scared of clowns? Who knows!!!!!
In the '80s and '90s I did 10 or so unlimited sheep hunts plus another 10+ elk and moose hunts in those same units. On all of my sheep hunts I only carried my .257 Ackley, and other than having a clean camp, I didn't give bears a second thought.

I didn't see any grizzlies while hunting sheep, but one did come into one of our elk/moose camps and I ran him off with a rock.

They're scared of the manbun ;)
Actually I think they see the manbun as the top feathers for a tender meal.:p

So, as I'm reading this my only thought......Is a 6.5 CM going to stop a G-bear?
Such a newbie question. Every seasoned unlimited hunter knows that the GYE grizzlies can sense the disturbance in the earths magnetic field created by the raw power of the 6.5 Creedmoor and stay far, far away.

Last edited:
If anyone is scouting this summer and wants some company, give me a holler. Im in the Beartooths all summer, and I’m good for about 20 miles and 6k in a day, give or take. Most of the time I’m alone, but it’s nice to have some company every so often, specially crazies like you all.
My legs just got their workout in for the day. All I had to do was imagine the pain of 20 miles and 6k vertical in the Beartooths and now I'm hobbling around the house!

My legs just got their workout in for the day. All I had to do was imagine the pain of 20 miles and 6k vertical in the Beartooths and now I'm hobbling around the house!
Haha. The best workout for walking the Beartooths is walking the Beartooths. Im up to 16 miles and 2k-2.5kish in a day this year thus far and its only May - granted, that was an all-trail jaunt (and in the Absarokas, not Beartooths)!

In the '80s and '90s I did 10 or so unlimited sheep hunts plus another 10+ elk and moose hunts in those same units. On all of my sheep hunts I only carried my .257 Ackley, and other than having a clean camp, I didn't give bears a second thought.

I didn't see any grizzlies while hunting sheep, but one did come into one of our elk/moose camps and I ran him off with a rock.

Actually I think they see the manbun as the top feathers for a tender meal.:p
With a rock he said ... Bahahahahaha!

I was thinking about going but won't. I've got the tag a couple of times before, but never really put the time in to be successful. On two different years I've hiked in 20 miles and up 4,000 ft to set up camp, but after seeing nothing for a few days packed it in. My main issue is not the work that you have to put into it, it's that you pretty much need to be there the whole week of the 15th of September to have any chance. That is also usually the best week for bowhunting elk, which makes it easy to talk yourself into giving up and chasing elk instead. Good luck to those that do try it this year. Like someone said earlier, "it's about the adventure", just too bad it opens Sept 15th. If it opened August 15th, I'd be getting a tag every year.
Serious question, because I'd like to get some feedback from those who have actually hunted the unlimited units: How would you feel about it if it opened on 15 November?

Back