Caribou Gear Tarp

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

I'd second the snowshoes. I once had the thought that I'd go "bear hunting" in the 'Tooths while scouting for sheep. This was Early-Mid May. After hiking in Snowshoes for several miles, I realized I wasn't going to see a bear, and I wasn't prepared or geared up to hike the distance from my rig to get to where the sheep I wanted to check on were. Absarokee got around 10" Sunday night, but most of it was melting by mid-day yesterday. I promise it's not melting on the plateau yet. Save your time/money for a later date and start dropping pins on Google Earth while you wait.

Thanks for the advice guys, we audibled plans and are now waiting a month or so to check it out.

So who is in this year? Been working on gear and hitting the gym!!!!!!! Bought a lighter stock for my gun. Dropped some weight with bino's and thinking about a few other changes to drop some weight of the pack (maybe I should start with the guy carrying the pack?) and still be comfortable and safe.

Hoping for no smoke from the fires this year.

So who is in this year? Been working on gear and hitting the gym!!!!!!! Bought a lighter stock for my gun. Dropped some weight with bino's and thinking about a few other changes to drop some weight of the pack (maybe I should start with the guy carrying the pack?) and still be comfortable and safe.

I've been trying to talk myself into going for it in 2022. I've been hooked on reading through this thread and I find myself rooting for all you die hards that get after it year after year. Much respect and admiration for the effort and dedication you guys have put into "mission impossible."

Here's a breakdown of my ambivalence:
The pros
1) I live really close to the Beartooths (Montana resident)
2) I come from a long line of sheep hunters. My grandpa has killed four bighorns in Wyoming, his biggest coming out of area 1. My dad has also drawn and killed an area 1 sheep in Wyoming. I've always dreamt of sheep hunting and realize the opportunity may not come through the draw in Montana.
3) I'm relatively young (33) and I like to suffer
4) I'm okay going years without killing or even seeing a sheep. To me the adventure is worth the price of admission.

Cons
1) I like to have a balance of adventure hunting and meat hunting. Sacrificing a big chunk of my vacation days chasing unicorns might leave me with a sad looking freezer
2) Baby due in July
3) My gear isn't up to snuff yet (would need a tent and pack upgrade)
4) No hunting partner that could keep up (I prefer to solo hunt so not a huge deal)

Part of me knows I'll regret it if I don't go but it seems like such a massive commitment and gamble. It seems like now is the time if I'm going to do it. I'm thinking I gotta try this in my 30's and maybe 40's and then jump back into the draw game later in life when my body starts slowing down. The risk being that the Beartooths might cripple me to the point of never being able to hunt again...lol.

Curious to hear how some of you came to the realization that the unlimiteds were for you? Did you fall and hit your head one day or was there more to it than that?

I've been trying to talk myself into going for it in 2022. I've been hooked on reading through this thread and I find myself rooting for all you die hards that get after it year after year. Much respect and admiration for the effort and dedication you guys have put into "mission impossible."

The pros
2) I come from a long line of sheep hunters. My grandpa has killed four bighorns in Wyoming, his biggest coming out of area 1. My dad has also drawn and killed an area 1 sheep in Wyoming. I've always dreamt of sheep hunting and realize the opportunity may not come through the draw in Montana.
4) I'm okay going years without killing or even seeing a sheep. To me the adventure is worth the price of admission.

Cons
1) I like to have a balance of adventure hunting and meat hunting. Sacrificing a big chunk of my vacation days chasing unicorns might leave me with a sad looking freezer
2) Baby due in July
4) No hunting partner that could keep up (I prefer to solo hunt so not a huge deal)

Part of me knows I'll regret it if I don't go but it seems like such a massive commitment and gamble. It seems like now is the time if I'm going to do it. I'm thinking I gotta try this in my 30's and maybe 40's and then jump back into the draw game later in life when my body starts slowing down. The risk being that the Beartooths might cripple me to the point of never being able to hunt again...lol.

Curious to hear how some of you came to the realization that the unlimiteds were for you? Did you fall and hit your head one day or was there more to it than that?
PM Sent

I came to realize the unlimiteds were for me because at 28 I decided one thing I wanted to do in life was go bighorn hunting and began to research all the options for making that happen. I could either try to draw and be really old when I do or never draw, buy a hunt in Canada which was way too much money at my age, or I could pay the NR tag fee each year and hunt till I kill one. I went with the last option. It gets me on the mountain sooner and more often and requires no guide or 30 + year waiting period.
And now how many years have you been going after the unlimiteds? And have you had success or been able to at least see some rams or legal rams?

I was thinking about going but won't. I've got the tag a couple of times before, but never really put the time in to be successful. On two different years I've hiked in 20 miles and up 4,000 ft to set up camp, but after seeing nothing for a few days packed it in. My main issue is not the work that you have to put into it, it's that you pretty much need to be there the whole week of the 15th of September to have any chance. That is also usually the best week for bowhunting elk, which makes it easy to talk yourself into giving up and chasing elk instead. Good luck to those that do try it this year. Like someone said earlier, "it's about the adventure", just too bad it opens Sept 15th. If it opened August 15th, I'd be getting a tag every year.

In 2019 I made the trip from NC to scout in the summer. I teamed up with another Hunt Talker who had interest in the same hunt. We spent a few days in one of the units and found a legal ram. I had a baby on the way so I didn’t buy the tag that year and chose to just scout instead. My hunting partner drew a goat tag in the overlapping unit in 2020 and we went in with his sheep and goat tag and saw no sheep but filled the goat tag. Just a few weeks ago I purchased my first tag and he and I plan to go back in come September. This will be my first time with a tag in my pocket.
Good for you man! Hope you get one the first year with a tag in you’re pocket! Can’t wait to get up there as well.

I

The pros

Cons
2) Baby due in July

I agree with everything you state here. I got there about 6 months ago myself. I hit my head a lot so now that you mention it...

Maybe we can compare notes in a PM.

The pros

Cons
2) Baby due in July

Go now while your young and a Montana resident and close. I did it as a resident in 1991 at 24 got a sheep that year. I have thought of going back every year but never have. I’m going to be 54 and now I am a non resident. I’m in good shape but would never be able to do what I did at 24. Also as a non resident it’s a lot more money to drop on a low percentage hunt. Do it now while your young and live there. Things change trust me on that one. I will be back

Go now while your young and a Montana resident and close. I did it as a resident in 1991 at 24 got a sheep that year. I have thought of going back every year but never have. I’m going to be 54 and now I am a non resident. I’m in good shape but would never be able to do what I did at 24. Also as a non resident it’s a lot more money to drop on a low percentage hunt. Do it now while your young and live there. Things change trust me on that one. I will be back
Solid advice - even if you don't get a sheep it will be only something like a $125 camping trip in some of the best landscape in the lower 48.

The pros

Cons
2) Baby due in July

If I was a resident of MT I would look really hard at the units that normally fill later in the season when the rams migrate out of the park or WY. That is where I would go hunt. The only reason I don't hunt that type of hunt is the weather. It is all determined by the weather and I would have to be on notice and then it would still take me 2 days to get there to hunt. A resident could be there really quick and make it happen.

The pros

Cons
2) Baby due in July

Don’t wait any longer. You should have done it LAST year before the baby. You don’t need premier gear. Dude, you are going to blink your eye and you will be 53 and the unlimiteds are VERY unappealing to 99.99% of 53 year olds in this country. Take this from a guy who spent a month in Colorado at 39 chasing bighorns with his recurve and has NO chance and going to the unlimiteds. Do it NOW. Don’t let fancy gear hold you back.

Back