Caribou Gear

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

You fellows might want to start looking for their winter range. Looks like they may get another foot of snow in the unlimiteds. Seriously, how much snow will it take to make the sheep start moving down?

By now, it is evident to anyone perusing these pages that I am somewhat obsessed with hunts in Montana's Unlimited Sheep Units. I say that by way of explaining why I am responding to a two-year-old posting, which I just discovered while revisiting older pages in the MT Unlimited thread..

So, Southern Elk, I want to interject that part of the reason I would personally like to see a resumption of the late-opening date structure of unit 502, such as it was in the 1980's, is that it afforded a hunter willing to contend with Beartooth weather, as typically encountered after mid-November, an opportunity to hunt Bighorns during the rut on their high Winter range. Even in the 1980's, I did hear occasional reports of sheep on lower altitude Winter ranges (on the McKay ranch for instance). I don't remember the Stillwater Mine, perhaps it did not exist then?--but I hunted high due to a tip from Shawn Stewart, who said that the vicious and persistent winds on the Beartooth Plateau kept enough forage swept open and accessible that the sheep could survive Winter on top.

Therefore, given the weather that I hear has recently pummeled the country, a tip to some of today's more energetic UL hunters might be: hunt high!

There’s always a story, but how or if we choose to share it is a personal choice. I’m selfish I guess, I do it for my own memories and I am content with being the only one who’s seen how everything unfolds. I share some pics of the outcome, but the suffering and the struggle that makes success so rewarding are for me.

Good for you!!!!! I don't think it is selfish. I totally get it. I used to post pics of critters that i would harvest and now it would be tough for me to post a pic and story ( I do enjoy a few of them though). To me it is really more about the memories and adventure than the grip and grin photo that everyone seems to think is the most important part of the hunt........guess that is why I don't have one social media account.

If I was to ever shoot a ram in the UL units I would probably post a story and some pics but it wouldn't be what most would be thinking the story would be about. The story of the UL units is so much more than the end result.

" The story of the UL units is so much more than the end result. "

And that, sir, is what I have so much enjoyed about this continuing thread and its community! The ethics, honest self-deprecation, personal commitment and the encouragement offered by veterans to those freshly contemplating the daunting undertaking, despite potential negative impact additional hunters might have upon their own odds of success, are exemplary examples of sportsmanship.

Shines@times if I do not get drawn for the Chugach next year I think you need to get ready and you and I need to spend a couple weeks in the unlimited area I am thinking we could maybe get one of them trophy's for the oldest to hunt the unlimited. Something to think about.

Shines@times if I do not get drawn for the Chugach next year I think you need to get ready and you and I need to spend a couple weeks in the unlimited area I am thinking we could maybe get one of them trophy's for the oldest to hunt the unlimited. Something to think about.

Haven't you already won that trophy several times?

The only Chugach I know is in Alaska--are you looking at an outfitted hunt? Or do you have a relative living there? Either way, good luck on the draw!

If it would fly as a dodge to hunt the Brooks Range without the expense of hiring a required guide, think I'd be willing to adopt the guy who went on and videoed this solo hunt:
(Warning: video contains F-bomb)

Last edited:
Hi fellas,

I have been reading and enjoying this topic for a couple years now. I thought this would be the year I join you up there, but life happens.

I spend my summers hiking, backpacking, and fishing up in the Beartooths, but when hunting season comes along I find my priorities focused entirely on feathered things and getting a falcon flying as soon as possible on the young of the year gamebirds. Next year, tho!

I say this now, feeling exhausted due to the dismal gamebird numbers in my valley this season, but I may very well feel differently next August and again end my mountain season with the Sept 1 gamebird opener. Hope springs eternal!

Congrats on that really great ram, Sam. What an accomplishment!

Please keep posting your experiences, peoples, I enjoy reading about them!

Mike

Gotta buddy whose goal is to get one in all 5 districts..... so far he has 3. Now that would be somethin. Said he'll hunt 303 when he's old and gray and can barely saddle a horse.
I think we have the same buddy, But I thought he had two and his wife has two

I think we have the same buddy, But I thought he had two and his wife has two
I could be mistaken for some reason I thought he had all 5s covered...... now that I think about it they hunted the 3rd unit and have not yet found what they are looking for. Thanks for your correction.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back