Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

I will be running a Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80.
Really like the shoulder straps and waist belt over the guide lite frame. Havent loaded it up past 80lbs yet, but it carried it well.
Okay, I can see that I have lots of studying ahead of me if it ends up looking like I'll be able to return to high country hunting! Man! Pack designs have certainly evolved! As with the Stone Glacier packs, seeing a Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80 being carried, I would not guess it's mounted to an external frame. Thanks for the input.

Repeating question I posed above, have you experienced any component failures with the MR products? If so, how did the company handle the issue?

I personally haven't had any failures. My Beartooth is pretty new and has only been out on 1 scouting trip and a couple ruck hikes.
I have a another pack in there guide light frame that I had about 120lbs in last year a couple times and it performed well.
Been happy with there products, but they are for sure not the lightest pack around.

@shines@times I haven't had any component failure on any of my packs. I
My wife also has one as well. Their design and materials are pretty bomb proof. If you ever get the chance to meet kurt or get to here his story on how he came up with the idea and different packs his story is way more than enough to sell anyone. He's a true solo backcountry adventurer. Spending years designing and refining before he even put it out there on the market. The company is great to work with and if there's any issues whatsoever that's caused by performance you can't pretty much bet your getting a new one.

I chose the 5900 because of the spotter compartment on the flap and it has some side pockets. There's not much for internal storage on any of the bags but with their camp pockets and swing out pockets a guy can bring plenty. It also helps I think to not over pack your bag with too many "trinkets." I run the 5900 for everything from day hunting antelope to lions to a 10 day sheep hunt. One of the biggest things is how well and how light those bags compress. It's beyond impressive. Second biggest and probably most important is the capability of separating the meat from gear. I wouldn't say ive ever had 150lbs in the pack but it's been damn heavy, with no issues. The cordura fabric sheds rain and snow quite well (actually very well) and is bomb proof. You can actually switch bags and keep the same frame, this list goes on and on. If your ever in Bozeman you owe it to yourself to stop in and check them out.

Last edited:
Shines

I have an EXO Mountain Gear 5500 that works well for me for somewhat heavy loads. I've carried multiple loads of moose up to 85# and elk up to maybe 70# with relative comfort. Like the Stone Glacier packs, it compresses quite well for day pack use and still has the load shelf design. I've never had my hands on a Stone Glacier, but from the reviews of both, they are probably in the same class. I also have a Kuiu Ultra 3000 of the same 2015 vintage as my EXO. I like it too, though with the thinner padding and lighter suspension, I wouldn't want to carry more than about 60 - 65# in it. I have carried 60# of mule deer in it and it too was also relatively comfortable. I bought both packs for different purposes and both work well for me. If I ever get off my rear end and head to the unlimiteds, the EXO will be what I use. If you ever get to this side of the state, you're more than welcome to try on both. Not a great picture of the pack, but here's the EXO with about 80# of moose.....

Attachments

• photo (14).JPG
    photo (14).JPG
    392.4 KB · Views: 121
Shines

I have an EXO Mountain Gear 5500 that works well for me for somewhat heavy loads. I've carried multiple loads of moose up to 85# and elk up to maybe 70# with relative comfort. Like the Stone Glacier packs, it compresses quite well for day pack use and still has the load shelf design. I've never had my hands on a Stone Glacier, but from the reviews of both, they are probably in the same class. I also have a Kuiu Ultra 3000 of the same 2015 vintage as my EXO. I like it too, though with the thinner padding and lighter suspension, I wouldn't want to carry more than about 60 - 65# in it. I have carried 60# of mule deer in it and it too was also relatively comfortable. I bought both packs for different purposes and both work well for me. If I ever get off my rear end and head to the unlimiteds, the EXO will be what I use. If you ever get to this side of the state, you're more than welcome to try on both. Not a great picture of the pack, but here's the EXO with about 80# of moose.....
Thanks Dave! In fact, I went right through the Tri-cities this Spring and passed nearby on two trips this Summer.

That's a nice photo. At full resolution I can see some similarity of the pack to the Stone Glacier. Shot looks like it could be a lot of places; so I'm curious. Did you get incredibly lucky and draw one of Washington's rare moose tags? Something has me thinking the Selkirks, though you'll probably tell me I only missed by 1800 miles 😒.

Yeah, I've been pretty lucky with the draws here in Washington. I drew a Cleman Mt sheep tag in 2014 after 42 years putting in. Then I drew the any moose tag in 2015 for the Kettle Range after 38 years of draws. I got him a little ways south of Sherman pass. I've taken 3 goats in Washington prior to it being OIL (1972, 1984, & 1996) and am still in the running for one more. Strange as it may seem, I drew a Cleman Mt ewe tag this year. I don't know how many deer and elk permits I've drawn over the last several years, but it's been a bunch. Sometimes I think I could be the poster child for the WDFW and their points/draw program. I was thinking the other day, that I may be the first or at least one of the first to draw both ram and ewe tags in the state. I'm really digressing though...back to the subject of Unlimited sheep!

Good luck out there fella's I sincerely hope you find some 3/4 curl horns attached to an ungulate!

Yeah, September 1-10 in 300. Interesting that nothing was taken--since 2016, at least one has been taken each year. I was under the impression that 300 was one of the units where a few of the local outfitters would locate a ram ahead of time and try to guide someone to it on the opener.

Looking at the harvest records, from 1995 to 2015 it looks like no rams were taken in 300 for nine of those years. I took a couple of days off and went home in the middle of season, then went back out to a different area than I had initially hunted. I was planning to stay for the duration, but then it started raining and I was literally in the clouds so visibility was zilch. Saw plenty of sheep but nothing even close to a mature ram. But I lost a good 20 pounds up in that country and am now in pretty good shape for deer/elk bow and rifle season.

On one of my last mornings I was actually above the clouds.
View attachment 20190908_18.JPG

Back