Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

This year will be my 4th in the unlimited area took 3 weeks off this year had to leave early last year due to my dad's health and glad I did got home late at night and he passed the next day I have never been on any mountain that gives me more enjoyment or pain that I dearly love any more than the Beartooths most miserable enjoyment I have ever had
Great to see you CBOW haven't heard from you for awhile...... sorry to hear about your loss. Hope to see you in there.

That’s what I thought it was. A lamb tip. Wasn’t sure because I’ve seen a lot pics and videos of broomed rams without the tips but I’d never seen a tip by itself. Little different perspective and definitely an awesome find. Hope he was able to keep it. Are there laws preventing that? I know it’s illegal in a lot of places to take a whole ram skull and horns if you find one.

They changed the law here as far as being able to keep bighorn horn found. Not sure where a lamb tip would fall into all this. Either way cool find.
http://fwp.mt.gov/news/newsReleases/hunting/nr_2900.html

Bad idea giving away your unit map. Now the whole San Diego zoo is gonna be a pumpkin army this September. Lol jk. Best of luck this year.

Good luck to you as well. I'm focusing on antelope and elk this year, but next year I'll be up in the `tooths and hope you're able to give me some pointers on how you killed your ram ;-)

That’s what I thought it was. A lamb tip. Wasn’t sure because I’ve seen a lot pics and videos of broomed rams without the tips but I’d never seen a tip by itself. Little different perspective and definitely an awesome find. Hope he was able to keep it. Are there laws preventing that? I know it’s illegal in a lot of places to take a whole ram skull and horns if you find one.
Ive seen whole skulls before, not in the unlimited units, but this is a first. I couldn't believe it. Pretty much made the trip for me though. I was jacked when he found it. Zero bones around and in very tall grass. About the only sheep sign we found. You can pickup skulls now for the most part. Certain refuges you can't obviously but i'm sure now some have taken a midnight express ride out.

Just returned from a scout, unreal new country. The grass is incredible up there this year. It never ceases to fail on how humbling those mountains are. Lots of goats 0 sheep ...... but a guy I teamed up with found a little souvenir. Pretty torn on what to do now......

I can't believe you guys found a lamb tip! That almost seems more unlikely than finding a legal ram.

Honestly I think you would have better luck asking these guys if you could take their wife on a date in their pick up truck than getting them to give up what unit. I haven't even stepped foot in one of these units and can't even begin to tell you the amount of time and money I've spent figuring it out. Plus, the unit that might be right for you could be different than the unit that is right for me. If I was a resident of MT (or lived within 6 hours drive) I would choose a different unit. If I had horses it would be a different unit. Lots of variables to consider..........One little nugget......My unit is close to the park.

If you wanna add to the bill I have a pretty decent flat rate I charge for pertinent information. Any rams taken are subject to a bonus of my choice......😉

I literally laughed out loud. But come on, there are only 5 units to pick from and they all have sheep... how much value is there in keeping the unit a secret. Also, how have you spent money "figuring it out" and how do you have a unit if you've never been there?

I'm a big fan of not telling the world. I've lost hunting spots because others knew that I hunted in that spot and did well. I'm not sure about everyone else but I've got a huge time investment. Don't really want to say how I've spent my time but it is way more elaborate than google earth and I know most guys that are pretty serious have done the same. The money part is pretty simple. I hunt a ton in AZ out of a camper. Finding back country hunts in this state is a bit tougher to do than in other western states. Most units I hunt you struggle to get 2 miles from a road. Since I hunt out of a camper the gear that I typically use is very different than the gear I will need in the unlimited's. Pack, clothes, boots, stove, tent, sleeping bag, water filter, battery pack, in reach, ect.........the list goes on. It can be a fairly large financial investment. Not even going to count buying a lighter rifle w/ scope and money I spent on optics.......please don't tell the wife.......Cool part is this gear can go on a ton of different types of hunts in the west.

As far as a unit. I've looked into two different units. I literally had my heart set on a unit and then after a conversation I looked into a different unit that is probably a better fit for me. It can be different for everyone. I'm not married to the unit but I do have more than a little time invested in to researching both units. Another bigger time investment is learning about sheep. Better know where they typically eat and live in mid September. It changes by season and is very important to know. It's big country and if you can spend more time looking in the right spots that might help your chances.

OR......I could look at the mountains. Pack my crap up and head home because I'm a complete sissy. The possibility exists.

Sooooo are you bringing your camper? Good luck on your adventure recurve..... you'll learn a lot on the first go round. Might switch back to your original unit. I'm hoping to get into a couple areas next week or around Sept 1 to check. The possibilities are endless.......

I'm a big fan of not telling the world. I've lost hunting spots because others knew that I hunted in that spot and did well. I'm not sure about everyone else but I've got a huge time investment. Don't really want to say how I've spent my time but it is way more elaborate than google earth and I know most guys that are pretty serious have done the same. The money part is pretty simple. I hunt a ton in AZ out of a camper. Finding back country hunts in this state is a bit tougher to do than in other western states. Most units I hunt you struggle to get 2 miles from a road. Since I hunt out of a camper the gear that I typically use is very different than the gear I will need in the unlimited's. Pack, clothes, boots, stove, tent, sleeping bag, water filter, battery pack, in reach, ect.........the list goes on. It can be a fairly large financial investment. Not even going to count buying a lighter rifle w/ scope and money I spent on optics.......please don't tell the wife.......Cool part is this gear can go on a ton of different types of hunts in the west.

As far as a unit. I've looked into two different units. I literally had my heart set on a unit and then after a conversation I looked into a different unit that is probably a better fit for me. It can be different for everyone. I'm not married to the unit but I do have more than a little time invested in to researching both units. Another bigger time investment is learning about sheep. Better know where they typically eat and live in mid September. It changes by season and is very important to know. It's big country and if you can spend more time looking in the right spots that might help your chances.

OR......I could look at the mountains. Pack my crap up and head home because I'm a complete sissy. The possibility exists.

It was pretty intimidating the first time I trekked into those mountains... and that was in August. It's some big country. Beautiful too. I hope your planning serves you well.

I always just assumed you had to sacrifice an acceptable volume of blood, sweat, frustration, and misery to the unlimited sheep gods...

A lot of you guys have got to be close to being paid up!

Last edited:
Sooooo are you bringing your camper? Good luck on your adventure recurve..... you'll learn a lot on the first go round. Might switch back to your original unit. I'm hoping to get into a couple areas next week or around Sept 1 to check. The possibilities are endless.......

I have a older buddy that is bringing his trailer up to "hang" out with me while I'm in the back country. He is basically going to be fishing while I hunt but we won't be doing much together. Cool part is he is bringing all my gear/food up there and I'm going to fly up so I can get in shape (scout) before the hunt starts.

I keep telling my buddies that I'm really going on an advanced scouting mission with my rifle and not actually hunting......though I have a tag. I am really looking forward to the adventure. I'm at a point in my life where I want to go on different hunts and have some adventures. I think this hunt fits the bill.

If you do not enjoy the Beartooths then nothing will make you happy. I have been all over the world and when I am in the Tooths it is like a spiritual outing. They are breathtaking. I thank God I lived long enough to spend time there. I hope everyone that hunts them this year a safe and wonderful experience.

Hi Gomer, I agree with all your points. Hope this is your year! I'm at least a year away from an attempt to repeat (see my next post for explanation). Personally, I'd like to see one or two units (502 and 501) not even open until mid November. Snow and roaring winds make for even tougher hunting conditions, thus, less pressure from other hunters. (What's up with AZ?)

Hello all you fellow obsessed masochists! I'm still alive; but I've been dealing with the emotional aftermath of my mother's death last year, property issues and the hernia that I think resulted from trying to lift her from the bathroom floor after she suffered a stroke.

I just wanted to check in and wish everyone a safe and fulfilling unlimited Bighorn Sheep season!

Because he is the oldest old fart to hunt the unlimited units that I am aware of on this forum, I want to extend a special wish for good luck (hunters and poker players all know it is a factor) to C Bow: GOOD LUCK BROTHER! I'm hoping that next year you will be the second-oldest hunter to score a ram in the 'Tooths!

Last edited:
Ive seen whole skulls before, not in the unlimited units, but this is a first. I couldn't believe it. Pretty much made the trip for me though. I was jacked when he found it. Zero bones around and in very tall grass. About the only sheep sign we found. You can pickup skulls now for the most part. Certain refuges you can't obviously but i'm sure now some have taken a midnight express ride out.
Nice find--kinda like stumbling upon an ancient arrowhead. Were the season actually open, though, I'd be just as thrilled to find steaming sheep poop! Have a good hunt this year!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back