Yeti GOBOX Collection

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

As far as bears go there's definitely an opportunity to run into one no doubt. I know lots of guys that cut tracks in the snow and see them a time or two but usually they're denning up and not wandering to far. I'd just bring your rifle and keep it in your mind that they're out there.... even in the snow

Just came back a week ago from 501 and saw a big grizzly across a drainage. Like you had said EYJONAS, they are there, but there are things you can do to minimize your risks.

When guys ask what's the most important piece of gear you can have. My response is you.... how fit and in shape are you. It'll make or break a guy's hunt no doubt. No matter what kind of hunt it is.
Great feedback guys. I love the Beartooths and I get up there every chance I get. But I've never been there after early September. My last time there I packed in all my gear AND a 35 pound munchkin that calls me daddy that rode on my shoulders (which made for an extra heavy load). The altitude and the weight I was carrying definitely had me sucking for air. I'm not as good as I was at 22 but I'm still not an old man yet! The elevation and steepness won't be new. But the weather certainly might be.

With regards to winter specific gear... If I need crampons and an ice axe, I'm just going around. I'm bringing a 3 season tent (Kelty TN2) and a good sleeping bag and hoping for the best. I think my clothes with all the layers will be sufficient, but maybe not. I might freeze my ass off, I might be fine. But going back to the comment about being a newspaper article... I don't think I'm going to miss so bad with my gear selections or my fitness that I'll die.

Its great for managing the species, I wish a few other states did the same thing.
Wyoming is probably the best suited state for it. I think we could have a few archery only zones in mt myself.

Yessir! Mr. Stewart is a nice guy. I’ve had a couple phone conversations with him. I told him personally thank you for his work with the unlimited sheep.
Was very cool to see his recognition this spring at the billings sheep banquet for all his years of service. It definitely wouldn't be as successful without his efforts.

Just returned from a scout, unreal new country. The grass is incredible up there this year. It never ceases to fail on how humbling those mountains are. Lots of goats 0 sheep ...... but a guy I teamed up with found a little souvenir. Pretty torn on what to do now......

Attachments

• 20190809_185530.jpg
    20190809_185530.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 134
  • 20190810_120050.jpg
    20190810_120050.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 132
When a ram gets older they'll broom or break off the ends. Called lamb tips. Closest ive ever been to holding a ram haha.

Just returned from a scout, unreal new country. The grass is incredible up there this year. It never ceases to fail on how humbling those mountains are. Lots of goats 0 sheep ...... but a guy I teamed up with found a little souvenir. Pretty torn on what to do now......

Go find the broomed off ram that dropped it and put a bullet in the side of him.

Answer is easy. Execution seems to be a bit challenging at times.

I know we all keep our hunting spots quiet... but I was wondering if y'all would share what unit you hunt. Just curious.

I know we all keep our hunting spots quiet... but I was wondering if y'all would share what unit you hunt. Just curious.

Honestly I think you would have better luck asking these guys if you could take their wife on a date in their pick up truck than getting them to give up what unit. I haven't even stepped foot in one of these units and can't even begin to tell you the amount of time and money I've spent figuring it out. Plus, the unit that might be right for you could be different than the unit that is right for me. If I was a resident of MT (or lived within 6 hours drive) I would choose a different unit. If I had horses it would be a different unit. Lots of variables to consider..........One little nugget......My unit is close to the park.

Honestly I think you would have better luck asking these guys if you could take their wife on a date in their pick up truck than getting them to give up what unit. I haven't even stepped foot in one of these units and can't even begin to tell you the amount of time and money I've spent figuring it out. Plus, the unit that might be right for you could be different than the unit that is right for me. If I was a resident of MT (or lived within 6 hours drive) I would choose a different unit. If I had horses it would be a different unit. Lots of variables to consider..........One little nugget......My unit is close to the park.

I literally laughed out loud. But come on, there are only 5 units to pick from and they all have sheep... how much value is there in keeping the unit a secret. Also, how have you spent money "figuring it out" and how do you have a unit if you've never been there?

Curious on the money spent myself? I guess if I had added up the hours and gear upgrades and vacation time and time at home completely tuning my family out..... it adds up. Yes I hunt 501, theres not much of a secret there. There's tons of country in all four directions in any unit. I don't tend to follow the dead sheep. (There's a nugget) but, some districts one does. Like 502 because its a migration hunt....... Just go out and have a good time that's what it's all about. Even Though I wasn't saying that when I was climbing out of the basin I was in when a freak hail storm hit.... no bueno. Hell if you wanna take my wife out in my pick-up feel free to come on out to the house...... just bring back my truck in one piece before 12.......wife optional.

This year will be my 4th in the unlimited area took 3 weeks off this year had to leave early last year due to my dad's health and glad I did got home late at night and he passed the next day I have never been on any mountain that gives me more enjoyment or pain that I dearly love any more than the Beartooths most miserable enjoyment I have ever had

Back